It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:00 pm 
Cup Winner

So the Colts released Manning today, honestly a huge mistake. Should have kept Manning and groomed Luck. Luck is not going to be able to replace Manning right away. If the Colts win 2 games next year I'll be very surprised.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:11 pm 
PP Quarterback

you should learn better adjectives.

also, no shit that luck won't be manning right away, if at all. it's a long term deal. manning has what, 3 years of football left? the colts are in a rebuild mode. even WITH manning, they would be lucky to win 8 games this year. reggie wayne is old and on his way out, jeff saturday might not stay, and mathis and freeny aren't exactly young. you don't keep an almost spent qb with a 20 million cap hit in a rebuild mode when you're 3 years away from real success.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:12 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

He'll look great in teal and creamsicle orange...

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:13 pm 
Cup Winner

With Manning, Luck sits and learns the pro game and he'll be much better prepared for the NFL game.

Look at Green Bay, Rodgers sat with Farve there. Now look at the guy. 3 years sitting behind the best QB in the game, you'll learn a thing or two about how the NFL works. The Colts are still retarded.

And Pat, do you always have to make comments on such trivial things?

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:38 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
With Manning, Luck sits and learns the pro game and he'll be much better prepared for the NFL game.

Look at Green Bay, Rodgers sat with Farve there. Now look at the guy. 3 years sitting behind the best QB in the game, you'll learn a thing or two about how the NFL works. The Colts are still retarded.

there's not much trivial about calling something 'retarded'.

you're right, rodgers sat. you know who didn't? brady (3 games?. brees (okay 1 year). p manning. marino. elway. newton. bradford. cutler pretty much just started. dalton. flacco. roethlisberger. stafford.

not to mention andrew luck is WAAAAAAAY more polished entering the draft than rodgers. most of talking heads say the time has passed for players like that to sit. it's better for them to play now.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:47 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

PatGreen wrote:

Agreed. It may be considered part of everyday language, but it's not really any different than calling something "gay".

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:54 pm 
Cup Winner

PatGreen wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

you're right, rodgers sat. you know who didn't? brady (3 games?. brees (okay 1 year). p manning. marino. elway. newton. bradford. cutler pretty much just started. dalton. flacco. roethlisberger. stafford.

not to mention andrew luck is WAAAAAAAY more polished entering the draft than rodgers. most of talking heads say the time has passed for players like that to sit. it's better for them to play now.

Brady got very lucky to be a starter in this league. He probably would not have had a chance had Bledsoe not gone down.

For most of those guys you've listed, they were not good their first year. The only one who was exceptional their first year, outside of inheriting an excellent team like Big Ben did, was Newton. He was impressive his first year. Most QB's that start right away don't do very well. It's still very apparent in the league.

Alex Smith, Sanchez, JP Losman, Blaine Gabbert The third QB taken in the first round last year, David Carr, Joey Harrington, plenty more guys who were forced to start but did nothing also.

Alex Smith is a prime example of someone who is now a threat that should have sat behind a veteran QB.

Rud wrote:

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Brady got very lucky to be a starter in this league. He probably would not have had a chance had Bledsoe not gone down.

For most of those guys you've listed, they were not good their first year. The only one who was exceptional their first year, outside of inheriting an excellent team like Big Ben did, was Newton. He was impressive his first year. Most QB's that start right away don't do very well. It's still very apparent in the league.

Alex Smith, Sanchez, JP Losman, Blaine Gabbert The third QB taken in the first round last year, David Carr, Joey Harrington, plenty more guys who were forced to start but did nothing also.

Alex Smith is a prime example of someone who is now a threat that should have sat behind a veteran QB.

no one says they do well their first year. those guys have had pretty good careers (to great) and they didn't spend any time on the bench. what if steve young got the extra 5 years to play with rice? who knows which of marino's records would have been broken.

i don't need to waste my time arguing...watch espn. it's good for most players to just play now. not sit the bench.

daz28
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:19 pm 
Star Sniper

Oh ya, not to mention they'd be gambling a $28M bonus(and as Pat said a mammoth cap hit) on a guy who may not even be healthy. Releasing him was clearly the right move. Imagine how great Cam Newton would be this year if he had of sat the bench all last year being 'groomed'? Pat is right.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:41 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

PatGreen wrote:

i don't need to waste my time arguing...watch espn. it's good for most players to just play now. not sit the bench.

I think QB is the one position where there might be a good argument for grooming. Your list didn't include Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Jamarcus Russell and plenty of others that were rushed into playing and failed miserably.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:50 pm 
PP Quarterback

i'm specifically talking about quarterbacks. most of the talking heads are saying it's changing.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:54 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Not everybody is a Manning that can jump right in. If you look at the rest of the top QBs, most didn't start in their rookie year. Brady learned behind Bledsoe and came in late. Rodgers learned behind Favre, Rivers learned behind Brees, and Brees behind Flutie to some extent.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:03 pm 
PP Quarterback

i think you didn't read much of my post.

i'd hardly call one season a big learning experience. steve young, brett farve, aaron rodgers, mark brunell, and eli manning had about 3 seasons or more of sitting.

plus, who ever said that the colts couldn't sign an older quarterback for a couple years? i doubt they walk into the season with curtis painter and andrew luck as their qbs.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:09 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Maybe I didn't read it close enough. That said, yeah they saved 28 million, but I think the Colts missed out on a real oppprtunity to develop Luck, even if it was just for one year. I can't think Manning wouldn't have offered to take way less money if they had offered him the chance to play say one "farewell" season and let Luck learn on the bench. Plus it would have generated an interest in this coming season that could have brought the Colts beaucoup bucks in coverag and merchandising. Then, once Peyton retires on HIS terms, there's still the development of Luck to look forward to in the future.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:59 pm 
Captain Dynasty

maybe the patriots can sign him to back up brady. so manning knows his role in the NFL.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:00 pm 
Cup Winner

PatGreen wrote:
i think you didn't read much of my post.

i'd hardly call one season a big learning experience. steve young, brett farve, aaron rodgers, mark brunell, and eli manning had about 3 seasons or more of sitting.

plus, who ever said that the colts couldn't sign an older quarterback for a couple years? i doubt they walk into the season with curtis painter and andrew luck as their qbs.

They should of just let Manning stay for the 3 years or so he's got left anyways.

I just don't see the point of them letting go Manning and putting all their eggs in one basket with Luck.

Yea they save 28 million, but Manning is worth it.

Rud wrote:

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:33 pm 
PP Quarterback

I think what you're missing that if you don't make ghe playoffs with or without him; it doesn't make any sense to waste all of your cap space on a player that isn't long term.

daz28
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:45 pm 
Star Sniper

A rookie won't "learn" behind Manning anyways. He doesn't play any OC's 'system', he plays Peyton Manning's system, and I'm sure he has no plans on bringing up a rookie at this point in his career, anyways. The last quarterback to have Manning-like freedom was probably Jim Kelly. He did a great job with Todd Collins, didn't he? A lot of people don't realize Collins never learned shit on the bench, because nobody but Kelly knew what was going to happen until 2 seconds before the snap.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:59 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

daz28 wrote:
A rookie won't "learn" behind Manning anyways. He doesn't play any OC's 'system', he plays Peyton Manning's system, and I'm sure he has no plans on bringing up a rookie at this point in his career, anyways. The last quarterback to have Manning-like freedom was probably Jim Kelly. He did a great job with Todd Collins, didn't he? A lot of people don't realize Collins never learned shit on the bench, because nobody but Kelly knew what was going to happen until 2 seconds before the snap.

What about Frank Reich? I think that would be a better example of someone who learned behind Kelly.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:11 pm 
PP Quarterback

What good did frank reich do? He started like 2 years in the nfl in my recollections.