It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:33 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
And you're asking if the raiders have a large contingent of diehard fans. Really...the raiders, who play in one of the msot famous stadiums in the NFL?

And a team that can't really decide if it wants to play in LA or Oakland.......

I love sports. Sure, I love my teams, but in general, I love sports. Christ, I spent an entire day watching curling during the Olympics one year because I just found it fascinating. I have no problem listening to a discussion about a sport that I may not like for as long as it's interesting, and I will freely admit that sometimes Cowherd will do that.

What I don't like about Cowherd (and by extension some other personalities on sports talk radio) is that he "decides" what may be interesting and relevant, and what may not be. Things that Cowherd may find interesting, many others don't, and vice versa. I get that a topic might not be nationally interesting or important, but that certainly doesn't make it any less regionally important.

Cowherd tends to have a pricky 'if you don't agree with me, you're wrong' attitude, and I just don't care for it. Mike Schopp does the same thing sometimes, and I don't like it any more when he does it.

He's also been pretty irresponsible with his mouth. His comments about how Sean Taylor's death was directly related to how he grew up were downright stupid. To follow that up with comments trashing Redskins fans who were putting up memorials? Even worse.

To be fair, sometimes he has great interviews, and good, thoughtful discussions. I will give him credit for that. But, he tends to offset those positives with smart ass, uppity comments that I just don't care for. This Bills thing is no different. The points he made are very sound and reasonable. However, he blows up all his credibility by saying the team should fold.

And BTW, I am QUITE a cerebral fan with broad interests. My interests just don't match up with Cowherd's gloriously evolved lists of relevant topics.

I think you were 100% right in just about everything you said here. At least 94.3%.

I don’t know a whole lot about the Raider’s moving situation. I believe the trek back to Oakland was because the Collisseum is a dump. That doesn’t speak ill of the fans. I think that they have an extremely loyal fan base, much like we do, in an area (California) where sports fans are largely apathetic. It’s easy to love sports here where its cold and rainy. I can see how it’s tough when there’s beaches and sun.

The only thing I disagree with you on is your second paragraph. Herd bases his show and his topics largely on ratings data. He does a lot of research. You’re correct in saying that tends to marginalize regional interests for national once, but The Herd is a nationally listened to show. It doesn’t make sense for Colin to report regional sports because while he’s making one city happy, he’s boring or pissing off 20 others.

Since you’ve talked about Herd’s good points, and hate him, and I love him, I’ll mention the things I dislike about him.

He does get in trouble with some of his comments, the Taylor one is the big one. I think that being edgy and controversial and picking on unpopular views, Colin is going to run that risk pretty often.

He talks about basketball a lot and I have no interest in it. That’s not his fault though. He does dig at smaller markets and niche sports, and is able to do so because they don’t drive his ratings. This is, in my opinion, the biggest flaw in The Herd. You do lose some of your credibility if you pick on any fan base. And gain a lot of detractors. But he picks on just about everyone. NY fans, philly fans, Pittsburgh fans, Ohio State, Penn State, Southern college football fans. At least he distributes it. I always laugh at his uppity comments. I don’t know, the smart ass stuff doesn’t bother me that much. I guess I can see how it would.

I was curious as to why you hated him. I didn’t mean to insinuate you weren’t cerebral or secular or any other fun adjectives, and I’m sorry for coming across that way. I know you like baseball, which Colin gives a lot of time to, especially the two major markets, NY and Boston, so I was kind of curious as to what sparked your ire for him.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:35 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Yea it is something like 75% of owners need to vote for relocation and expansion now.

I think when the Colts moved to Indy there was no such vote to take place.

You're probably right. I think the Balt-Indy move might have inspired that rule. Read the wiki on the move, sketchy as hell, and kind of funny in its James Bond-ness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapol ... more_Colts

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:46 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
The only thing I disagree with you on is your second paragraph. Herd bases his show and his topics largely on ratings data. He does a lot of research. You’re correct in saying that tends to marginalize regional interests for national once, but The Herd is a nationally listened to show. It doesn’t make sense for Colin to report regional sports because while he’s making one city happy, he’s boring or pissing off 20 others.

I guess I should clarify then. I don't have a problem with him not wanting to discuss topics based on market research and ratings. That keeps him employed, it's the business.

What I don't like is how he trashes the outlier topics.

Take hockey. We all know that it's reasonable to say that the vast majority of his listening demo doesn't give a crap about hockey. I wouldn't have a problem if he never discussed the sport at all. I'm not one of those guys who complains that ESPN doesn't give hockey enough airtime. If they had enough interest, they'd do it.

What bothers me is when he makes a point to take shots at hockey, knowing full well that he's just pandering to the parts of his audience that don't care for the game. THAT annoys me.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:57 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:

I guess I should clarify then. I don't have a problem with him not wanting to discuss topics based on market research and ratings. That keeps him employed, it's the business.

What I don't like is how he trashes the outlier topics.

Take hockey. We all know that it's reasonable to say that the vast majority of his listening demo doesn't give a crap about hockey. I wouldn't have a problem if he never discussed the sport at all. I'm not one of those guys who complains that ESPN doesn't give hockey enough airtime. If they had enough interest, they'd do it.

What bothers me is when he makes a point to take shots at hockey, knowing full well that he's just pandering to the parts of his audience that don't care for the game. THAT annoys me.

Ah okay, I'll agree with you there. Since you don't like him you probably don't listen to him as much as I do, but he did a decent job of covering the SC playoffs. He stuck to the big named players and avoided the nuts and bolts which is good because he would have just been talking about his ass.

Last year he was a jerk to hockey and it was really annoying. This year he's been pretty good about it, covering it on occasion, and otherwise leaving it alone.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:49 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I'm not as religious in turning on sports radio as work as I used to be. If I'm working on something mindless, I try to turn on Cowherd/Rome/M&M , and fish around for something mentally stimulating. If I'm working on something difficult, I have to have music on, so sports radio goes away.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:05 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
I'm not as religious in turning on sports radio as work as I used to be. If I'm working on something mindless, I try to turn on Cowherd/Rome/M&M , and fish around for something mentally stimulating. If I'm working on something difficult, I have to have music on, so sports radio goes away.

Yeah, that's how I got into it. I usually have Cowherd on at 10, my level of listening varies. If Van Pelt and Rusillo have something interesting to talk about, I'll stay tuned in, ditto Brent Axe, who is local.

slesh
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:19 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

icehound wrote:
...shock-value.

Just looking to generate a buzz. And that's the name of the game.

Agreed,

which I am an electrician, we could lets say....um, go to his place of work and hook him up to a few volts, with minimal amps of course, and lets say....um, treat him to some shock value :)

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:16 am 
Garbage Man

If Chris Berman is right, that nobody circles the wagon's like Buffalo (boy, it has been a long while since that was true), then I think it is time that the Bills franchise started circling the wagons, because this idiot isn't going to be the last one to suggest that Buffalo is too small a market for an NFL franchise.

It already feels like they have one foot out the door on the way to Toronto.

Los9090
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:14 am 
Superstar Goalie

I agree with the earlier posts about "shock value". Ya gotta get ratings and ruffle feathers as a sports talkhost.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:30 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Los9090 wrote:
I agree with the earlier posts about "shock value". Ya gotta get ratings and ruffle feathers as a sports talkhost.

It's not like going against the grain and being controvertial hasn't been a key element to Colin's show for years.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:28 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

This just in, Colin Cowherd has been reportedly stomped to death by a herd of wild Buffalo in his Montana vacation home.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.