It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Stuuuuuuu
 Post subject: The Buffalo Bisonjays
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:28 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

So I was reading this TSN article about the recent Blue Jays/Marlins trade and I came across a passage that said that so-and-so outfield prospect would probably be developed in triple-A Buffalo. And I thought, triple-A BUFFALO? So I went to the Bisons' website, and sure enough, it says "the new triple-A affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays".

Now I know there aren't many Jays fans here (cough<nationalistbastards>cough), but I grew up rooting for Toronto and am very happy to hear of this move. Their last farm club was in Las Vegas, which obviously makes no sense, but even if you go back further, the Jays farm team used to be in Syracuse. Buffalo is an ideal location because it's not only closer, but it's also right next to Ontario. You're gonna see a lot of Ontario fans coming to games that you didn't see before now because they are located so close to the big league club. Seems like an ideal situation to me. Hell, I grew up in Olean and lived in Buffalo for 3 years, but never once went to Pilot Field to see the Bisons. I can guarantee you that if I could have been watching Blue Jays prospects then, I'd have gone to games.

What do you all think about this new affiliation?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:42 pm 
Captain Dynasty

the bisons change parent clubs more often then i change my boxers. whats up with that?

Montalo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:45 pm 
PP Quarterback

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
So I was reading this TSN article about the recent Blue Jays/Marlins trade and I came across a passage that said that so-and-so outfield prospect would probably be developed in triple-A Buffalo. And I thought, triple-A BUFFALO? So I went to the Bisons' website, and sure enough, it says "the new triple-A affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays".

Now I know there aren't many Jays fans here (cough<nationalistbastards>cough), but I grew up rooting for Toronto and am very happy to hear of this move. Their last farm club was in Las Vegas, which obviously makes no sense, but even if you go back further, the Jays farm team used to be in Syracuse. Buffalo is an ideal location because it's not only closer, but it's also right next to Ontario. You're gonna see a lot of Ontario fans coming to games that you didn't see before now because they are located so close to the big league club. Seems like an ideal situation to me. Hell, I grew up in Olean and lived in Buffalo for 3 years, but never once went to Pilot Field to see the Bisons. I can guarantee you that if I could have been watching Blue Jays prospects then, I'd have gone to games.

What do you all think about this new affiliation?

The only drawback for me is that the jays are an AL team, which means the stupid DH. Besides that, im 100% in favour of this.

The logo presser is at 2 today, and units are coming out in January. most importantly, it will be a BUFFALO identity, not a fake jays one. Im exicited for this.

Hopefully, the Jays are a good parent and give us good players, and stability, with no more changing parents.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:48 pm 
Captain Dynasty

no one wants to watch a pitcher flail away at 3 balls no where near the strike zone. the NL needs to stop being pantywaists and adopt the DH.

Montalo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:52 pm 
PP Quarterback

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
no one wants to watch a pitcher flail away at 3 balls no where near the strike zone. the NL needs to stop being pantywaists and adopt the DH.

the AL needs to return to the game of baseball as it was played since the conception of the game, as is in the NL, and in the AL until the 70s, and get rid of the DH

But, you know, not the point of this discussion. the logo is coming out soon, and im hopinh it's a good one.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:54 pm 
Captain Dynasty

the game of baseball revolves around hitting a ball with a bat. sending pitchers up to the plate directly goes against the most basic bylaw of the sport.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:56 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Some of the Toronto press is ready to give The Jays the AL title after the trade and signing Melky Cabrera. I doubt that, but I think with their huge payroll increase, there should be some good talent left in the prospect pool for Buffalo.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:59 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Some of the Toronto press is ready to give The Jays the AL title after the trade and signing Melky Cabrera. I doubt that, but I think with their huge payroll increase, there should be some good talent left in the prospect pool for Buffalo.

i got the jays finishing with about 85-88 wins. so you should see some meaningful baseball in october.

however, how good is a clean cabrera? i dont expect him to play like he did last year, of course.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:09 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I have no idea how good Cabrera will be without the juice. You're probably right that it isn't that big a signing. I'm not gonna pretend I know that much about baseball, especially the NL where most of these new additions are coming from. I know Mark Buehrle from older AL days, but I also wonder if he isn't too over-the-hill to be a top 2 starter.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:58 pm 
PP Quarterback

i think you're vastly overrating the amount of people that will drive to see a triple a baseball team.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:10 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
the bisons change parent clubs more often then i change my boxers. whats up with that?

Except they don't.

They spend 14 years with the Indians before picking up the Mets, and only dumped them because of the timing to hook up with Toronto.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:12 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

PatGreen wrote:
i think you're vastly overrating the amount of people that will drive to see a triple a baseball team.

I don't think you get a ton of people from WNY to drive to Toronto, but you will get a lot of Hamilton and south Jays fans to come here, plus I'd suspect the Jays run ticket packages for both teams in a weekend.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:59 pm 
Captain Dynasty

the thing is AAA baseball has become sort of an olds man league, filled with players who are on the fringe, and more and more of the hot prospects make the jump from AA to the majors. sure, AAA is still used as a developmental league, but much less then it has before.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:01 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Except they don't.

They spend 14 years with the Indians before picking up the Mets, and only dumped them because of the timing to hook up with Toronto.

maybe i NEVER change my boxers. its a mystery to us all.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:56 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Squanto wrote:
PatGreen wrote:

I don't think you get a ton of people from WNY to drive to Toronto, but you will get a lot of Hamilton and south Jays fans to come here, plus I'd suspect the Jays run ticket packages for both teams in a weekend.

I think you'll see more people making short trips to see the Bisons because:
A. Toronto is about half the distance away from Buffalo that Cleveland is
B. Southern Ontario fans I think will be a ton more excited. Don't forget Toronto is now the only Canadian baseball team and Canadians love to show their nationalism, especially when it comes to sports.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:44 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

PatGreen wrote:

BTW, I think you're vastly underrating my keen intellect and all-around genius.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:28 am 
PP Quarterback

not many travel more than half an hour on a weekday for a 3-4 hour game that isn't pros. maybe we get more people on the weekends, but i don't think it's noticeable.

did the amerks get less people in the stands when they weren't affiliated with us?

if people want to watch minor league baseball, they're going to watch minor league baseball.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:52 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

PatGreen wrote:
not many travel more than half an hour on a weekday for a 3-4 hour game that isn't pros. maybe we get more people on the weekends, but i don't think it's noticeable.

did the amerks get less people in the stands when they weren't affiliated with us?

if people want to watch minor league baseball, they're going to watch minor league baseball.

Yes. Average attendance numbers:

02-03 : 6640
03-04 : 7425
04-05 : 8847
05-06 (Start of dual affiliation) : 6988
06-07 : 7339
07-08 (Last season of the dual affiliation) : 6835
08-09 : 4080
09-10 : 4236
10-11 : 3872
11-12 (Return to Sabres) : 5595

There's a clear dropoff during the Panthers years. One could make the argument that they had two 7th place years in there, but 09-10 they were 2nd and a playoff team, and they also sucked in 07-08 where they pulled almost 7k a game.

Ryan911T
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:35 am 
resident car guy

Nobody was interested when they were affiliated with the Panthers around here. Last season it took a while for people to start getting back to the games. It's a lot better now. I try to go every Friday game and it's been a blast to watch. The seats are cheap and they always put a good show on the ice, even in losses. The fans seem to get more into it than the Sabres games too.

Twitter - @Ryan911T - @MotoExposure

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:27 am 
PP Quarterback

Squanto wrote:
PatGreen wrote:

Yes. Average attendance numbers:

02-03 : 6640
03-04 : 7425
04-05 : 8847
05-06 (Start of dual affiliation) : 6988
06-07 : 7339
07-08 (Last season of the dual affiliation) : 6835
08-09 : 4080
09-10 : 4236
10-11 : 3872
11-12 (Return to Sabres) : 5595

There's a clear dropoff during the Panthers years. One could make the argument that they had two 7th place years in there, but 09-10 they were 2nd and a playoff team, and they also sucked in 07-08 where they pulled almost 7k a game.

i stand corrected but i still don't think that the attendance will change at the bisons game.

i also think that that specific increase in amerks games was probably locals who didn't have to travel far to go to a game. but that's neither here nor there.