It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:15 am 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

http://mmafighting.com/news/2009/11/05/ ... ff-ufc-108

Quote:
The plan to reschedule the UFC heavyweight championship bout between champ Brock Lesnar and challenger Shane Carwin at UFC 108 on Jan. 2 has been nixed.

Carwin (11-0) was informed Wednesday evening by the UFC through his manager that the illness that caused Lesnar (4-1) to withdraw last week from their UFC 106 main event on Nov. 21 has persisted, rendering the champ unfit to train for a Jan. 2 fight as well.

"Guys my manager Jason Genet just told me that UFC 108 is not happening," Carwin wrote on his blog. "Brock has mono(nucleosis) and what the UFC has told me is that I have earned the title shot but I have to wait for the title holder."

The two heavyweights had been issued bout agreements for the UFC 108 date happening at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

When reached for comment, UFC president Dana White told Yahoo! Sports that mononucleosis will prevent Lesnar from training for at least a month and possibly up to six weeks.

According to WebMD, mononucleosis "is a common viral illness that can leave you feeling tired and weak for weeks or months. Mono goes away on its own, but lots of rest and good self-care can help you feel better."

White said he is still figuring out if Carwin will fight someone else in the meantime or if he'll have the undefeated heavyweight wait until Lesnar is ready.

This is what makes me cringe...Mono is brutal yes, but Lesnar already claimed "injury", and now Mono? How many more excuses is Dana White gonna let Lesnar give to not fight the most destructive fighter I've ever seen. Carwin will mop up Lesnar in 1 round...and Lesnar is scared. Plain and simple...Lesnar is afraid of Carwin. But who can blame him, nobody has taken Carwin out of the first round in his 11-0 career.

Squanto 7/27/2010

Wyohomeboy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:34 am 
Power Forward

With Brock, why do I always envision steroid related problems???

I know he claims to have never used them, but I have a difficult time believing it.

dontbethatguy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:11 pm 
Brawler

Honestly I think this is just a simple case of mono. Before they thought it was the flu, you have flu like symptoms so it was a safe assumption. I don't view it as Lesnar being afraid to fight Shane. From Shane's perspective he should want the fight put off too. Beat him at his best.

The steroid theory doesn't fly. Nevada has random drug testing. They don't just test these guys right before the fight. They test them randomly while they are training. If he was on a steroid cycle and messed up somewhere it wouldn't matter. The random testing would pick it up if he were doing it during training camp.

Plus for a month leading up to the originally scheduled fight Lesnar had mentioned he had flu like symptoms. He had taken a week off to try to recover and it didn't happen. I just think it's a case of mono and he has to wait it out. Does he fear Carwin? No. He fears Carwin just as much as Carwin fears him. He respects Carwin though. He def. sees he has to be on his game to defend his title. So I really don't blame him for wanting to recover from illness.