It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PuckSniperPensel
 Post subject: Favorite Concert Moment
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:23 pm 
Page Side

Everyone here likes all different kinds of music styles and bands, so I thought it'd be fun to compare what our favorite moments have been at live shows we've been to.

This past summer, I saw Phish at Saratoga Performing Arts Center.

During Antelope, someone lit off fireworks on the lawn right at the climax of the song and sent the whole place into a frenzy.

You can see them launch at 1:30 and hear them explode moments later, with the crowd uproar:

Anyone else have crazy things happen at shows they've been to that they'd like to share?

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:41 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I don't see a lot of bands live, so most of my favorite concert memories are intimate rather than crazy.

- partying with Ronan from VNV Nation at the after party after the concert, which my brother took me to as my birthday present
- drinking shitty PBR with N8 Feet Under and Chance Garnett from Skeletonwitch after their set, which ended with him ordering the crowd to "DRINK BEER...SMOKE WEED...EAT PUSSYYYYY!!!!"

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:12 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Muse here at the Bradley Center... an hour forty minutes of them just pounding out song after song... It was great. I felt like I was listening to a really long album.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:49 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

I've seen a lot of cool stuff over the years but 1 thing stands out as a cool moment for me.

1993, Lollapalooza@ Molson park in Barrie, On....I think it was the 2nd Lollapalooza...it was a kick ass lineup:
Primus, Alice in Chains, Dinosaur Jr, Fishbone, Front 242, Babes in Toyland, Tool and Rage Against the Machine.

I was mostly there for Primus though and they were the headliners.

I managed to fight my way up to the front row, being crushed up against the fence and rocked out to Primus' first set. After their break, they came out and their entire second set was comprised of old school and fairly obscure (stuff from Caress of Steel etc.) Rush songs. At the time the only band I liked more than Primus was Rush.
It. Was. Amazing.
I'm sure the only reason Les Claypool busted that set out was because it was Toronto...I doubt Chicago or LA got that special treat.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:58 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I'm also not a huge fan of live music, so the only live shows I've seen were Disturbed, Trapt, Sevendust, and someone else at the K-rockathon in like 2002, Sawyer Brown at the fair in 2005, Billy Ray Cyrus at the fair in 2006, and Lady Antebellum at the fair in 2010.

Sawyer Brown was awesome, the rest were unspectacular.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:30 pm 
Mrs. Miller

Crosscheck wrote:
1993, Lollapalooza@ Molson park in Barrie, On....I think it was the 2nd Lollapalooza...it was a kick ass lineup:
Primus, Alice in Chains, Dinosaur Jr, Fishbone, Front 242, Babes in Toyland, Tool and Rage Against the Machine.

Was going to say that seeing Rage Against The Machine at Lollapalooza (in 08) was one of my favorite concert moments too. They were amazing.

I also saw No Doubt two summers ago and that was a great experience... They have been my favorite band since I was a little kid in the 90s and Gwen Stefani was idol growing up, so it was really awesome to finally see them live.

Live music is the best.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:36 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Crosscheck wrote:
I've seen a lot of cool stuff over the years but 1 thing stands out as a cool moment for me.

I was mostly there for Primus though and they were the headliners.

I managed to fight my way up to the front row, being crushed up against the fence and rocked out to Primus' first set. After their break, they came out and their entire second set was comprised of old school and fairly obscure (stuff from Caress of Steel etc.) Rush songs. At the time the only band I liked more than Primus was Rush.
It. Was. Amazing.
I'm sure the only reason Les Claypool busted that set out was because it was Toronto...I doubt Chicago or LA got that special treat.

You had me at Primus, Tool, Rage, but ESPECIALLY at Front 242

I'm looking for this man...to sell him to the other man...to sell him to the other man...for ten times the price at least.

So friggin awesome.

useful fictions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:45 pm 
Brawler

i think it was in '02 or '03, but no time left played at the moose lodge in lockport. the people running the place that night were pretty old, so they thought a bunch of kids going crazy, "dancing" to hardcore music was out of line and dangerous. one of the old guys came over and grabbed one of my friends to throw him to the ground because no one paid attention to them when they told everyone to stop, so everyone was pretty pissed at this point.

nick baran, the singer from no time left, called out the old guy and said him throwing kids around wasn't helping their cause any, and a compromise was reached. everyone formed a large circle where one or two people could enter to dance at a time. the next song no time left started playing, i grabbed my friend and humped him across the diameter of the circle. apparently, baran thought this was funny, started pointing and couldn't help but crack up.

i suppose that's not a favorite moment, but one that i felt was a pretty good time. there was another no time left show where i got up on stage to talk about critical mass in lockport, which i tried to get going with some friends (even though there isn't supposed to be any specific organizing). we got a pretty decent turnout for it that month, though. i think that was in '04.

the first time i saw converge was a great show.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:55 pm 

mechaphil wrote:
You had me at Primus, Tool, Rage, but ESPECIALLY at Front 242

IMO I have yet to see or even hear of a festival with such a lineup...and all those bands were in their prime at the time.

Oh...and the Orb was on the 2nd stage...it was a festival where you genuinely wanted to be in 2 places at the same time and had to make a choice.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:10 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I had my concert virginity taken this past summer when Testament, Megadeth and Slayer all played the same card in Halifax.

As a drummer myself, to have seen Paul Bostaph and Dave Lombardo (The only two, to ever have played drums for Slayer and them being my idols) in one night was the highlight of my music wish list.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:15 pm 

AudSabres wrote:
As a drummer myself, to have seen Paul Bostaph and Dave Lombardo (The only two, to ever have played drums for Slayer and them being my idols) in one night was the highlight of my music wish list.

Then you need a Neil Peart live solo before you die ;)

AudSabres
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:22 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Crosscheck wrote:
AudSabres wrote:

Then you need a Neil Peart live solo before you die ;)

Oh my god…

That. Would. Be. EPIC! To see him go absolutely bat shit on a drum kit live and in person would be amazing! Recorded concerts (Although awesome) just don't do it justice at all.

I'm guessing you have seen this live, XC?

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:34 pm 
Captain Dynasty

armor for sleep at the shelter in 2004. small, basement venue, there were maybe 150 people there. i was right in front, and inbetween songs, i yelled "PLAY POINTLESS FOREVER!" (a long lost demo that alot of people havnt heard) and he said, ok, well play it, but you gotta sing it. i got on stage, maybe sung 2 lines, and the crowd was awesome, so i just jumped into the crowd while ben did the rest. i met him a few times after that. hes an alright dude.

im also in their DVD, in the crowd. i saw them ALOT.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:38 pm 
Superstar Goalie

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Well well well, what do we have here? A celebrity!?

:lol: j/k Mike. That's pretty sweet!

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:39 pm 
Captain Dynasty

AudSabres wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Well well well, what do we have here? A celebrity!?

:lol: j/k Mike. That's pretty sweet!

it is. i LOVED their shows before the second album came out. it was still fun after that, but their first album was amazing. i sung every word right along with him when i would go to a show.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:57 am 

AudSabres wrote:

I'm old and obsessed so I've seen Rush something more than 25 times.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:43 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Crosscheck wrote:
AudSabres wrote:

Closest I've come to seeing Rush is touching every piece of Neil Peart's famed 360 degree drum set while I was at the R&RHOF. So. Fucking. Awesome.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:45 am 
Captain Dynasty

i worked for bob segar. i really dont care for his music though. what what?

AudSabres
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:46 pm 
Superstar Goalie

mechaphil wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
AudSabres wrote:

Closest I've come to seeing Rush is touching every piece of Neil Peart's famed 360 degree drum set while I was at the R&RHOF. So. Fucking. Awesome.

:shock:

God damn! I'd love to see a live performance even just once!

Dude, you touched the famous drum kit!? I'm so god damn jealous right now. :snooty: hahaha