It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:07 am 
Captain Clutch

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110112/SPORTS02/101120338/1007/SPORTS

They hope (among Amerks management and fans) that with a new owner for the Sabres that they will be able to reconnect since the Amerks attendance has plummeted. Maybe not right now but in a couple years when the Sabres contract with Portland expires... :think:

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Ryan911T
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:03 am 
resident car guy

I remember when I went to an Amerks game when they first began their affiliation with Florida and they were just terrible. Nobody was there. I haven't been to a game since, and I live in Rochester. If the Sabres were affiliated with them, I'd be going to a ton of games.

I know one of the points of contention is Florida's unwillingness to let the Amerks have control of their roster.

Twitter - @Ryan911T - @MotoExposure

shedoesntgetit
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:50 am 
Garbage Man

i will always hate steve donner. going to amerks games these days is down right depressing. there's really nothing to say on this topic.

it would be incredible if with a new owner for the sabres, and donner being completely out of the picture for the amerks if the affiliation could be brought back to life. i just don't see it happening, though.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:58 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I know the Pirates affiliation will exist for a couple more years, but I hope that Rochacha doesn't have an affiliation when it expires so the Sabres can move back in.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:06 pm 
Captain Clutch

The Sabres affiliation with Portland expire at the end of the 2013-14 season so it is conceivable for the Amerks to sign one for the next 2 years.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:07 pm 
Captain Dynasty

shedoesntgetit wrote:
i will always hate steve donner. going to amerks games these days is down right depressing. there's really nothing to say on this topic.

it would be incredible if with a new owner for the sabres, and donner being completely out of the picture for the amerks if the affiliation could be brought back to life. i just don't see it happening, though.

My Rochester friend says the ams at least fight a lot.

patkane88
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:39 pm 
Captain Clutch

shedoesntgetit wrote:

Well they are Florida prospects and that team can't draft at all.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:51 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

odd question... terry has lots of money... could he buy the Amerks and run them separate from the sabres until the Portland affiliation expires... only main issue may be he would then own 2 lacrosse teams...

E X C E L L E N C E

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:01 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

He would not be able to do that because of the NLL teams question. He would have to separate the Amerks from the K'Hawks, which seems unlikely.

shedoesntgetit
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:32 am 
Garbage Man

patkane88 wrote:
shedoesntgetit wrote:

Well they are Florida prospects and that team can't draft at all.

see, its not even so much about how the amerk's are as a team. when i was young, i pretty much fell in love with hockey because we'd go to amerk's games so much. i remember in the 90's going to the play off and calder cup games. and then again during the lock-out, it was the same thing all over. seeing the amerks play was fun. it was always packed, everyone was so into the games, and it was especially awesome being able to see the future sabres.

it's just not the same anymore. it seems like noone cares about the amerks, and hardly anyone shows up-- and those that do are just in for the dollar beer and hot dog nights.

all i know is the most people i've seen at blue cross for a game since the affiliation ended was last season when portland played the amerks. it even seemed like more people than when boston and florida did the preseason match-up here. and that's gotta be saying something.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:03 am 
Garbage Man

Does Florida plan to re-up with the Amerks, or will they seek to move a team down south like the Hurricanes did?

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:26 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

It's not about Florida wanting to re-up with the Amerks, it's that the Amerks don't want anything to do with Florida.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:45 am 
Garbage Man

mechaphil wrote:
It's not about Florida wanting to re-up with the Amerks, it's that the Amerks don't want anything to do with Florida.

I cannot blame them. They shoudl have stayed with the Sabres in the first place.

As for Florida, I expect them to have a team closer to its home territory in the future, similar to the Carolina Hurricanes affiliating with the Charlotte Checkers. Is any AHL franchise looking to relocate after season's end?

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:47 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Not that I know of.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:50 am 
Garbage Man

mechaphil wrote:
Not that I know of.

Are there any other affiliation agreements ending this season?

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:13 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I would think so, but I don't know of a place to look until the NHL and AHL seasons end and the stories come out.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:59 pm 
Garbage Man

I guess that question will be answered after season's end.

Hopefully, we have three more years of Portland, then head back to Rochesterin 2014. Ah, that would be terrific!

sabresindc
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:45 pm 
Captain Clutch

Sabretooth wrote:
I guess that question will be answered after season's end.

Hopefully, we have three more years of Portland, then head back to Rochesterin 2014. Ah, that would be terrific!

Honestly, it would be perfect timing too if the Amerks can sign a 3 year contract with someone

Los9090
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:12 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Considering Rochester consists mainly of Sabres fans, its gotta be tough to have another NHL team have an affiliate really.