It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:05 pm 
Hart Winner

I'm having a debate with a friend on which band is more talented.

SOAD
or
Alice in Chains

My debate:
Serj plays a piano, a guitar, composes and sings music, and plays an Armenian flute
Daron plays guitar but also loves the drums and can play well, and he can also compose and sing music
Shavo can sing and play guitar but he also goes to the genre of rap.
John Dolmayan can play drums and he once sang in the song "I-E-A-I-A-I-O", and his father taught him how to play the saxophone
The Rolling Stones made a list of the top 100 metal drummers/guitarists, and the poll had Malakian and Dolmayan over AiC's musicians.
SOAD usually carries double meanings in their songs, and the tempo at which the songs are played usually carry meaning, too (i-e-a-i-a-i-o had 4 different meanings that could be recognized throughout the song, and Fuck the System's repetition of words held hidden messages like "I'm just the meaning of pi" and it hints to reincarnation)
SOAD is anti animal abuse, anti drugs, anti war, anti corruption and greed, anti pretty much everything bad and they are all vegetarians and have been known to go to protests. They also sing often of the Armenian genocide, as well as problems in their own lives

His debate:
Alice in Chains shows more emotion
The instrumental work of Alice in Chains is better
Alice in Chains sings about more important things
Alice in Chains went quad platinum
Alice in Chains has deeper meaning

We share a similar music favorite list but we differ here.

Any opinions?

Last edited by BlueandYellow on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:05 am 
Hart Winner

I know this may seem silly but I want opinions.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:06 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Seriously? I like System but in my opinion they fall pretty short of Alice in Chains.

Rud
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:05 pm 
Superstar Goalie

2005 called, they want your System of a Down obsession back.

Rud
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:12 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Seriously though, System of a Down released one exceptional, exceedingly unique album with their self-titled, a much more accessible but still great album in Toxicity then got very unremarkable and mediocre from Steal This Album! onward when compared to their earlier work.

But the impact on music that they've had doesn't even compare to how Alice in Chains helped change the game with Dirt alone.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:46 pm 
Captain Dynasty

they both suck. yeah, i said it.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:56 pm 
Hart Winner

Rud wrote:
Seriously though, System of a Down released one exceptional, exceedingly unique album with their self-titled, a much more accessible but still great album in Toxicity then got very unremarkable and mediocre from Steal This Album! onward when compared to their earlier work.

But the impact on music that they've had doesn't even compare to how Alice in Chains helped change the game with Dirt alone.

Really? Mesmerize had a lot of kick ass songs in it. I know why people don't like Hypnotized even though I love every single song in it, but Mesmerize has some renowned songs in it.

And how does what you said make Alice in Chains more talented?

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:53 pm 
PP Quarterback

alice in chains. no one can do what layne staley and jerry cantrell did.

BS1970
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:25 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Alice

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

why?

Image Image
We truly are not worthy of Miller!

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:29 pm 
Superstar Goalie

BlueandYellow wrote:
Rud wrote:

Really? Mesmerize had a lot of kick ass songs in it. I know why people don't like Hypnotized even though I love every single song in it, but Mesmerize has some renowned songs in it.

When you hear musician after musician say that they were inspired by Alice in Chains, there is something to that. System had one good album, I liked it, listened to it a bunch but now it's collecting dust in my garage. Alice in Chains however is still shuffling actively on my I-pod and they are much older.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:31 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Agree. Thus I don't really have any opinion on who is more talented (though that could mean different things to different people too) as I don't listen to them.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:32 am 
Hart Winner

Displaced Fan wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Rud wrote:

When you hear musician after musician say that they were inspired by Alice in Chains, there is something to that. System had one good album, I liked it, listened to it a bunch but now it's collecting dust in my garage. Alice in Chains however is still shuffling actively on my I-pod and they are much older.

I don't see how other bands being inspired by you means you have talent. It means that people like your music. AiC has talent. But SOAD's Serj can play guitar, piano, an Armenian flute, and compose and sing songs, Daron can play the guitar, drums, compose and sing songs, Shavo playing guitar and rapping, and John Dolmayan playing drums and knowing how to play the saxophone, all while SOAD's lyrics are just so more complex than AiC's... I just think they're more talented as a whole.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:56 am 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Rud wrote:

I don't see how other bands being inspired by you means you have talent. It means that people like your music. AiC has talent. But SOAD's Serj can play guitar, piano, an Armenian flute, and compose and sing songs, Daron can play the guitar, drums, compose and sing songs, Shavo playing guitar and rapping, and John Dolmayan playing drums and knowing how to play the saxophone, all while SOAD's lyrics are just so more complex than AiC's... I just think they're more talented as a whole.

It depends what you mean with talent. The talent of playing instruments or the talent of making music. There's a difference.
Nathan Paetsch can play forward and defender, that doesn't make him more talented than Vanek.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:16 am 
Superstar Goalie

BlueandYellow wrote:

When other bands are inspired by you it means you're doing something right. Obviously you like System.....okay. I think their work gets boring and tiresome after awhile. Do they have talent? Yup. Personally though, Alice in Chains work was deeper, had more meaning and all in all were a band who I enjoy much much more.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:54 pm 
Captain Dynasty

BS1970 wrote:
Alice

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

why?

because i dont care for the noise they make when it hits my ears, thus making it unpleasant. ergo, they both suck.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:07 pm 
Superstar Goalie

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
BS1970 wrote:
Alice

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

why?

because i dont care for the noise they make when it hits my ears, thus making it unpleasant. ergo, they both suck.

:lol:

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:33 pm 
Hart Winner

Displaced Fan wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

When other bands are inspired by you it means you're doing something right. Obviously you like System.....okay. I think their work gets boring and tiresome after awhile. Do they have talent? Yup. Personally though, Alice in Chains work was deeper, had more meaning and all in all were a band who I enjoy much much more.

Care to elaborate? Because SOAD's song Arto is more meaningful than anything AiC had and it has no words in it. And most SOAD songs have more than one meaning (I.E.A.I.A.I.O is a big one).

Sc's#1SabresFan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:50 pm 
Emergency Call-Up

I like AiC but not a huge fan. SOAD has about three songs on my iPod (which i'm sure you all can name) and i can careless about them anymore than that. Both are OK for my hearing pleasure.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:31 am 
Superstar Goalie

BlueandYellow wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Care to elaborate? Because SOAD's song Arto is more meaningful than anything AiC had and it has no words in it. And most SOAD songs have more than one meaning (I.E.A.I.A.I.O is a big one).

Hey man, if you didn't want someone to tell you something other than "System is the best" then don't ask for opinions. I bought System back in 2000 or something, listened to the CD a bunch then it got old. The lead singer's voice is unique but got old and annoying pretty quick. I just found that I got sick of his style and then songs like BYOB just confirmed that they aren't my cup of tea. Their gimmicky in my opinion. Like what you like, I'm just giving you my opinion. For me I think Alice in Chains had more heart and connected with me more. Obviously you have dissected the System songs and have come to the conclusion that their songs have more meaning....yippee. For my money I'll take Would and Rooster over anything System has coughed up and since they pop up in so many conversations about influential bands I'll say people tend to agree.

They weren't the fucking Beatles, Elvis or Zeppelin but they did speak to a whole generation. I think it also has to do with how old you are. I happen to turn 32 today....tomorrow...well on the third...fucking time zones.....and in the 90's they were one of the big three with Nirvana and Pearl Jam and were huge.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:33 am 
Hart Winner

I know you have your opinion. And I didn't expect "System is the best", but I'm allowed to say WHY I think System is more talented, right?