It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
ironyisadeadscene
 Post subject: Re: Penn State scandal.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:14 am 
Captain Dynasty

rioting increasing in intensity.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:40 am 
PP Quarterback

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
im going to hell, because i laughed so hard when i read that and processed it. i guess thats how i handle these things.

I laughed, too, unfortunately. It's just funny in a horrible way.

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:04 am 
Power Forward

Good the students have the right to protest so let them. Im sorry, but I am an avid PSU fan.... Joe Paterno is a good man, yeah maybe he should have spoken out more than what he did, but he is taking the fall for someone else which is fucking bullshit. Students and people everywhere have a right to be pissed off, because Paterno didnt commit the fucking crime.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:06 am 
Captain Dynasty

an hour ago outside his home.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:13 am 
PP Quarterback

I really think the protesting is immature and makes the real issue (the child abuse) insignificant. I know Paterno did everything he was legally supposed to do, but that doesn't mean he did what is morally right. I'm bothered by this, and I don't mean him being fired. He claims he didn't know about the rape, but if he is found to be lying, then it's really horrible.

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:26 am 
Power Forward

backthatSASSup wrote:
I really think the protesting is immature and makes the real issue (the child abuse) insignificant. I know Paterno did everything he was legally supposed to do, but that doesn't mean he did what is morally right. I'm bothered by this, and I don't mean him being fired. He claims he didn't know about the rape, but if he is found to be lying, then it's really horrible.

If he is found to be lying then he deserved what he got, but as of right now... he didnt deserve to be fired, nor should he have been, I keep hearing he was planning on retiring after this season anyways... so yeah they should have let him finish the season out.

Until then. Protest on students. Its not immature. they have the right to be pissed. I know I am.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:28 am 
Captain Dynasty

OCCUPY STATE COLLEGE!

11-9
never forget

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:32 am 
Power Forward

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
OCCUPY STATE COLLEGE!

11-9
never forget

lol I would make my way to PSU if I wasnt in Indiana right now....... damn

PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:44 am 
PP Quarterback

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
I haven't read a whole lot on it, but I think PA state law (and maybe federal law) dictates he report things to law enforcement.

nope. his superiors are. his only responsibility (legally, not morally or ethically) was to report to the AD.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:46 am 
PP Quarterback

Joe basically told the kids outside his house to go home and study. he said he loved them and his job, but they would do better for him to go get good grades.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:48 am 
PP Quarterback

Rutledge222 wrote:
backthatSASSup wrote:

If he is found to be lying then he deserved what he got, but as of right now... he didnt deserve to be fired, nor should he have been, I keep hearing he was planning on retiring after this season anyways... so yeah they should have let him finish the season out.

Until then. Protest on students. Its not immature. they have the right to be pissed. I know I am.

It's your opinion, but I disagree with it. Paterno stated he was going to retire after this season Wednesday night, just hours before the controversy was leaked to the media. He knew he was going to be in trouble. After reading the grand jury report, I believe that everyone in a position of power at the school had a duty to do the right thing. They did nothing to stop Sandusky except instituting a silly, unenforceable ban.

Paterno could have been more vocal. He could have stopped being Sandusky's friend. He could have helped stopped 9 more incidences that occurred after 2002. I'm sorry but I think, his moral obligation exceeded the bare minimum legal obligation. These are small children we're talking about here. This is bigger than football.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:04 am 
PP Quarterback

backthatSASSup wrote:
his moral obligation exceeded the bare minimum legal obligation.

moral obligation is an ambiguous term not accountable in the court of law.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:18 am 
PP Quarterback

I've never said he should be held accountable in the court of law, unless he is found to have lied to authorities.

I do believe, though, that it provides the grounds for him being fired.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:34 am 
Superstar Goalie

My cousin just posted this on FB - I'm curious how true it is:

Quote:
Jerry Sandusky rented out boys from his foundation to prominent donors. May he and everyone who covered this up burn in hell.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:51 am 
PP Quarterback

backthatSASSup wrote:
I do believe, though, that it provides the grounds for him being fired.

why? i don't care if he's fired. it makes sense, you've gotta clean house. but i don't know if the U would be able to fire him if he took them to court about it.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:19 pm 
PP Quarterback

I know Pennsylvania is an at-will state and there's probably something in his contract to that effect. I'm sure they legally fired him, otherwise there would be a whole other shit storm going on right now.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:27 pm 
PP Quarterback

NYIntensity wrote:
My cousin just posted this on FB - I'm curious how true it is:

Quote:
Jerry Sandusky rented out boys from his foundation to prominent donors. May he and everyone who covered this up burn in hell.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2 ... te-scandal

I hope it's not. :(

PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:44 pm 
PP Quarterback

backthatSASSup wrote:
I'm sure they legally fired him, otherwise there would be a whole other shit storm going on right now.

only if he felt like challenging it. remember, half of PA is rioting because they don't think HE did anything wrong. the program is another story.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:49 pm 
PP Quarterback

Well, yeah, I meant another court mess.

I disagree with the rioting, though. I get that it's their right to protest (peacefully), I just disagree with the premise.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:59 pm 
Mrs. Miller

backthatSASSup wrote:

It's your opinion, but I disagree with it. Paterno stated he was going to retire after this season Wednesday night, just hours before the controversy was leaked to the media. He knew he was going to be in trouble. After reading the grand jury report, I believe that everyone in a position of power at the school had a duty to do the right thing. They did nothing to stop Sandusky except instituting a silly, unenforceable ban.

Paterno could have been more vocal. He could have stopped being Sandusky's friend. He could have helped stopped 9 more incidences that occurred after 2002. I'm sorry but I think, his moral obligation exceeded the bare minimum legal obligation. These are small children we're talking about here. This is bigger than football.[/quote]
Yep, this is exactly how I feel about the whole situation.

I do agree with what Mike said though, how there should be more focus on Sandusky instead of Paterno. I wonder how many people following this scandal even know Sandusky's name. But Paterno has the big name and is more recognizable, so of course the media is going to focus more on his involvement.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next