It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:54 pm 
PP Quarterback

Well, I'm kind of on the fence about this one.

On one hand, it was just a happy message. It didn't taunt anyone and it gave a good laugh; however, Stevie has a history of doing things like this (he was fined for the "Why so serious?") and the refs are more likely to penalize him. It was dumb for him to do it in the first place, but I didn't think it was all that bad.

What about Aaron Hernandez high-stepping from the 15 yard line to the endzone while staring back at the safety. That's not taunting or unsportsmanlike?

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:55 pm 
PP Quarterback

Ryan911T wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that Chan Gailey said Stevie didn't get penalized on the field for the "Why so serious?" shirt last season against the Bengals, which is why he thought he could get away with it. Chan also said that he made a rule for all players that penalties for things such as the celebrations would be punished by benching.

He got a $5000 fine for it, though.

No Fun League! ;)

daz28
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:51 pm 
Star Sniper

backthatSASSup wrote:
Well, I'm kind of on the fence about this one.

On one hand, it was just a happy message. It didn't taunt anyone and it gave a good laugh; however, Stevie has a history of doing things like this (he was fined for the "Why so serious?") and the refs are more likely to penalize him. It was dumb for him to do it in the first place, but I didn't think it was all that bad.

What about Aaron Hernandez high-stepping from the 15 yard line to the endzone while staring back at the safety. That's not taunting or unsportsmanlike?

Exactly. It seemed they favored the Patsies, so I'm glad Stevie flicked his nose at the league. Heck, in a way he assured us a better draft position. lol

It was a crap weekend for sports. NFL sucked the Pats off, NHL sucked the Flyers off, and the retard ref at the Rose Bowl needs to learn not to start the clock before he blows the whistle when there's only 2 seconds left. A LOT of weak, biased officiating, which ruins sports. Imhfo.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:58 pm 
PP Quarterback

backthatSASSup wrote:

was penalized, if i'm not mistaken

daz28
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:36 pm 
Star Sniper

PatGreen wrote:
backthatSASSup wrote:

I don't think he was.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:57 pm 
Cup Winner

PatGreen wrote:
backthatSASSup wrote:

How is high stepping unsportsmanlike or even looking back at someone?

The reason Stevie got penalized was because it's clearly in the rulebook to not lift or take your jersey off.

Article 1
Throughout the game-day period while in view of the stadium and television audience, including during pregame warm-ups, all players must dress in a professional manner under the uniform standards specified in this Section 4. They must wear equipment offering reasonable protection to themselves while reasonably avoiding risk of injury to other players. They generally must present an appearance that is appropriate to representing their individual clubs and the National Football League. The term uniform, as used in this policy, applies to every piece of equipment worn by a player, including helmet, shoulder pads, thigh pads, knee pads, and any other item of protective gear, and to every visible item of apparel, including but not limited to pants, jerseys, wristbands, gloves, stockings, shoes, visible undergarments, and accessories such as headwear, worn under helmets and hand towels. All visible items worn on game- day by players must be issued by the club or the League, or, if from outside sources, must have approval in advance by the League office.

Stevie was in the wrong, Hernandez didn't do anything wrong. Showboating isn't a penalty.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Wozniak
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:27 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
PatGreen wrote:
backthatSASSup wrote:

The reason Stevie got penalized was because it's clearly in the rulebook to not lift or take your jersey off.

Article 1
Throughout the game-day period while in view of the stadium and television audience, including during pregame warm-ups, all players must dress in a professional manner under the uniform standards specified in this Section 4. They must wear equipment offering reasonable protection to themselves while reasonably avoiding risk of injury to other players. They generally must present an appearance that is appropriate to representing their individual clubs and the National Football League. The term uniform, as used in this policy, applies to every piece of equipment worn by a player, including helmet, shoulder pads, thigh pads, knee pads, and any other item of protective gear, and to every visible item of apparel, including but not limited to pants, jerseys, wristbands, gloves, stockings, shoes, visible undergarments, and accessories such as headwear, worn under helmets and hand towels. All visible items worn on game- day by players must be issued by the club or the League, or, if from outside sources, must have approval in advance by the League office.

Stevie was in the wrong, Hernandez didn't do anything wrong. Showboating isn't a penalty.

taunting is.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

daz28
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:29 pm 
Star Sniper

Wozniak wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
PatGreen wrote:
backthatSASSup wrote:

Article 1

taunting is.

So is excessive celebration. I didn't see anything in article 1 about exposing your undershirt, either. How in the fuck the league penalizes you the same for happy new year as it does a deliberate head shot is beyond me.

THE NFL IS IN THE WRONG.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:41 pm 
PP Quarterback

No Fun League!

If any of yous haven't watched the ESPN 30-for-30 on the USFL, I highly recommend it. Seriously, you won't be disappointed. I'm sure you could find a torrent in the right place.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:52 am 
Cup Winner

daz28 wrote:
Wozniak wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
PatGreen wrote:
backthatSASSup wrote:

Article 1

taunting is.

So is excessive celebration. I didn't see anything in article 1 about exposing your undershirt, either. How in the fuck the league penalizes you the same for happy new year as it does a deliberate head shot is beyond me.

THE NFL IS IN THE WRONG.

It states anything that can or will get shown has to be approved by the league. So if it isn't part of the uniform, it's not allowed.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Montalo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:38 am 
PP Quarterback

daz28 wrote:
Wozniak wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
PatGreen wrote:
backthatSASSup wrote:

Article 1

taunting is.

THE NFL IS IN THE WRONG.

you know, i typically prefer to disagree with sky, because he is typically always wrong, but he is, by some stroke of luck or magick, right today. However, like his normal self, he has failed to provide the correct rule to prove his point

Quote:
PERSONAL MESSAGES
Article 8␣␣Throughout the period on game-day that a player is visible to the stadium and television audience (including in pregame warm-ups, in the bench area, and during postgame interviews in the locker room or on the field), players are prohibited from wearing, displaying, or otherwise conveying personal messages either in writing or illustration, unless such message has been approved in advance by the League office. Items to celebrate anniversaries or memorable events, or to honor or commemorate individuals, such as helmet decals, and arm bands and jersey patches on players’ uniforms, are prohibited unless approved in advance by the League office. All such items must relate to team or League events or personages. The League will not grant permission for any club or player to wear, display, or otherwise convey messages, through helmet decals, arm bands, jersey patches, or other items affixed to game uniforms or equipment, which relate to political activities or causes, other non-football events, causes or campaigns, or charitable causes or campaigns. Further, such armbands and jersey patches must be modest in size, tasteful, non- commercial, and non-controversial; must not be worn for more than one football season; and if approved for use by a specific team, must not be worn by players on other teams in the League.

this can be found here, http://www.nfl.com/rulebook under rule 5, on page 38

the happy new year is a message, so he was in violation of this rule

is this rule bullshit, yes.
is the fact that a head shot has the same penalty, yes.
but, such is the state of the league

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:54 am 
Cup Winner

I only looked for uniform rules, since to me it seemed like it would be under that. Didn't care to look further after I saw any undergarment needed league approval.

Rud wrote:

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:27 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
I only looked for uniform rules, since to me it seemed like it would be under that. Didn't care to look further after I saw any undergarment needed league approval.

Nothing about this statement has shocked any of us.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:48 pm 
PP Quarterback

Montalo wrote:
you know, i typically prefer to disagree with sky, because he is typically always wrong, but he is, by some stroke of luck or magick, right today. However, like his normal self, he has failed to provide the correct rule to prove his point

first nominee for post of the year

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:02 pm 
Captain Dynasty

PatGreen wrote:
Montalo wrote:

first nominee for post of the year

seconded

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:31 pm 
Hart Winner

lol

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:26 am 
Cup Winner

you all jelly my iq is higher than all yours combined.

Rud wrote:

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:34 am 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

I stopped reading when you said jelly.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:07 pm 
Cup Winner

backthatSASSup wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

I stopped reading when you said jelly.

why did you respond then?

You make no sense.

Rud wrote:

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 pm 
PP Quarterback

The rule should simply be: If the NFL finds that your celebration is inappropriate, you get fined. Simple as that.

@TJLuckman550

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next