It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

ksquier89
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:29 am 
PP Quarterback

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
OilOnWhyte wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:
i like hemsky. but, look. if you wanna keep hemsky, can we have RNH? please?

the oilers are going to be a super team real fast.

The Oilers will continue to struggle until the defence is fixed.

This will be the sixth consecutive year out of the playoffs. The natives are restless.

With that being said, I'm pretty sure Edmonton would take Ales Kotalik off your hands...again.

you guys can have grags. for like.. a 3rd round pick.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:50 am 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

I really dont understand this forum some times...Ales Hemsky makes this team much better than it is now. Adds scoring depth and play making ability.

Trust me a guy thats nearly a .8 Point Per Game isn't lazy. Not to mention he's a career -19 on a terrible, and I mean terrible team defensively. I don't see why or how you can't want him. He's exactly what we need.

It seems to be Sabres fans want goons, not hockey players. Sure we'd all love a Lucic, Getzlaf, or Backes, but guess what, they don't become available, and there are less than 15 effectively scoring power forwards in the whole league. I don't know what you guys expect to be able to get on the trade market, because these guys don't come up in free agency, or trades very often. They are rare talents, and a precious commodity.

Squanto 7/27/2010

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:42 am 
Page Side

Hemsky aint the answer.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:10 pm 
Hart Winner

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
Hemsky aint the answer.

He may not be the answer but he's pretty damn good partial credit.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:21 pm 
Page Side

He's a wing. We don't need any more wings. We need centers.

OilOnWhyte
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:44 pm 
Rink Rat

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
He's a wing. We don't need any more wings. We need centers.

Hemsky is a guy who's a .92 point per game guy since the lockout. And since '06, he's played with such wonderful linemates as Toby Petersen and Jean-Francois Jacques. And that wasn't for a game or two, either. He's had some awful linemates and still did pretty good.

The tragedy in all of this? Hemsky's in a contract year, and he'll probably go for cheap. I'm guessing pick and a prospect cheap. I don't want to see Hemsky go, but the writing is all but on the wall.

You need a C? Which centre do you guys think is going to come with a near point per game pedigree?

Who do you give up?

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:46 pm 
Star Sniper

I'd get a top C the same way almost every other club gets one...through the draft after tanking for a year or so.

OilOnWhyte
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:48 pm 
Rink Rat

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
I'd get a top C the same way almost every other club gets one...through the draft after tanking for a year or so.

I could write a few chapters for you on that.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:54 pm 
Star Sniper

I'd enjoy that, with all the talk of lateral type movements for Getzlaf instead of simply adding to the team with top talent.

OilOnWhyte
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:11 pm 
Rink Rat

I'd enjoy that, with all the talk of lateral type movements for Getzlaf instead of simply adding to the team with top talent.

How to tank? Simple.

1. Talk about 'toughness', sign tough guys. Toughness is great when you have good players that are tough. Dressing JF Jacques, Steve MacIntyre, Zack Stortini, Darcy Hordichuk, Ben Eager and the lot might have been a deterrent ten years ago. Today, they're all very nice guys, but can't play more than 3 minutes a night.

2. The scapegoat. Every year, find someone who has fallen out of favour with the team. This year for us, it's Ales Hemsky. Last year, it was Dustin Penner or Tom Gilbert. Gilbert made it, Penner didn't. Go on back every year, most of those guys aren't with the team any more. I don't know if that happened with Tim Connolly last year with you guys (or Derek Roy this year?) but we've gotten pretty good at it. Basically, take good players and trade them for picks and prospects. See Penner for a great example.

3 Don't sign defencemen. We have two, maybe three NHL defenceman playing on our roster right now: Ladislav Smid and Andy Sutton/Corey Potter. Other guys: Colten Teubert, Theo Peckham, Jeff Petry. Fine in a pinch, but not sold on the long run yet.

4. Goaltending. I have nothing else to say.

5. Preach the rebuild. Draft high, miss playoffs for six consecutive years. Sell hope.

Tank complete.

daz28
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:51 pm 
Star Sniper

OilOnWhyte wrote:

How to tank? Simple.

1. Talk about 'toughness', sign tough guys. Toughness is great when you have good players that are tough. Dressing JF Jacques, Steve MacIntyre, Zack Stortini, Darcy Hordichuk, Ben Eager and the lot might have been a deterrent ten years ago. Today, they're all very nice guys, but can't play more than 3 minutes a night.

2. The scapegoat. Every year, find someone who has fallen out of favour with the team. This year for us, it's Ales Hemsky. Last year, it was Dustin Penner or Tom Gilbert. Gilbert made it, Penner didn't. Go on back every year, most of those guys aren't with the team any more. I don't know if that happened with Tim Connolly last year with you guys (or Derek Roy this year?) but we've gotten pretty good at it. Basically, take good players and trade them for picks and prospects. See Penner for a great example.

3 Don't sign defencemen. We have two, maybe three NHL defenceman playing on our roster right now: Ladislav Smid and Andy Sutton/Corey Potter. Other guys: Colten Teubert, Theo Peckham, Jeff Petry. Fine in a pinch, but not sold on the long run yet.

4. Goaltending. I have nothing else to say.

5. Preach the rebuild. Draft high, miss playoffs for six consecutive years. Sell hope.

Tank complete.

Great post, except the part about Andy Sutton being an NHL player. lol. Just kidding. He was ok in Anaheim last year, but he was this years Pat Kaleta. He'd get called for even looking at a player like he might body check them. I'm haven't watched much Oil hockey this year, but I'm sure he's still a marked man, too. Also, 2 playoffs in 5 years with quick exits isn't that much better, especially coming off a President's trophy.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:32 pm 
Hart Winner

If you don't want Hemsky on your team you better not have Stafford on your damn wing.