It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Triplez47888
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:56 pm 
Late-Round Gem

Now that the sabres are officially eliminated from playoff contention let's switch gears a bit and talk about the offseason.

Now we all know Darcy's tendency to believe his team is better than it actually is. So what do you think SHOULD HAPPEN this offseason and on the other hand what do you think WILL ACTUALLY HAPPEN.

I still am under the impression that they still need to improve their centers. Cory Hodgson may develop into an all star but they definitely still need a #1 center. I also think Foligno should be brought up to replace Kaleta and Roy should be shipped out of here possibly in a package deal to land a #1 center. They also need another solid stay at home defenseman. Sekera still doesn't impress me and should take Weber's place as the 7th D-Man. Also I feel that it's now time for a new coach and GM.

What I think will happen is not very much. They may go out to sign someone to replace Boyes or even might just bring up Foligno to replace him. They will probably re-sign Kaleta and Sulzer and go under the impression that Hodgson is their new #1 center. No shake ups in management and coaching will occur and Darcy will probably ride the entire offseason under the impression that the .team can make the play-offs and all their shortcomings were as a result of injuries

HipKat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:14 pm 
Garbage Man

The best part about this years annual rush to the play-offs is that we know more about this team than we did 2 and 4 months ago. Foligna is a beast. No way he's not here full time next year. Miller got back to form, the team looked like the Sabres we hoped for.
Personally, I still think Ruff is done, although I know he won't be sent packing.
Not making the play-offs is a deal breaker for me, with the team that was assembled this year.
We need a coach that can motivate players like Leino, CoHo, et al. Ruff can't do that.

The team has 6 months to learn how to play consistent Hockey for 84 games, not the last 20, like they're forced to do almost every year.
IF, if that happens, I'm optimistic.

lamaisonbleu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:59 pm 
Late-Round Gem

I don't know what should happen, but I know there will be a NHL shutdown for the next season. Spithead Donald Fehr will see to that.

jordano
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:45 am 
Two-Way Center

HipKat wrote:
We need a coach that can motivate players like Leino, CoHo, et al. Ruff can't do that.

First, why does Cody Hodgson need to be motivated? I wasn't aware he had issues in this department?
Second, there's only so much a coach can do to "motivate" their players. Players deserve most of the blame when it comes to their performance.

#1 Hockey Nation.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:55 am 
Star Sniper

"Players deserve most of the blame when it comes to their performance."

Same can be said for coaches, and I could list all the poor moves Ruff made over the season but the bottom line is that the staff and certain players have disappointed.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:53 am 
Superstar Goalie

No big expectations. I mean I should have some...but I don't.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:08 am 
Star Sniper

One of my big hopes was a deal for Dustin Brown, but he's currently beasting his way out of any possible trade talk. Looks like all we can hope for (after Parise and Suter sign elsewhere) is a solid draft.

jordano
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:31 am 
Two-Way Center

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:

Same can be said for coaches, and I could list all the poor moves Ruff made over the season but the bottom line is that the staff and certain players have disappointed.

Are we really going to blame Leino's lack of production on Ruff's ability to motivate him though?

#1 Hockey Nation.

Wozniak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:03 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

jordano wrote:

Are we really going to blame Leino's lack of production on Ruff's ability to motivate him though?

his lack of production could be because if ruffs inability to find suitable line mates, system, and if Leino was constantly on ruffs shit-list and knew it, that could hamper production.

so its possible.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:12 pm 
Star Sniper

jordano wrote:

Uh...are we really going to pretend that I blamed Leino's subpar production on Ruff's inability to motivate him? Where did that come from?

Simply put, both Ruff and certain players could've been better.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:13 pm 
Hart Winner

Wozniak wrote:
jordano wrote:

his lack of production could be because if ruffs inability to find suitable line mates, system, and if Leino was constantly on ruffs shit-list and knew it, that could hamper production.

so its possible.

Leino played on several different lines, and nobody really clicked with him.
Ruff shouldn't change his system, only for one player
Leino being unfairly treated by Ruff is a crock of shit, because Ruff shuffled lines CONSTANTLY and he never produced. So it's not Ruff's fault, it's Leino's fault. This coming from a guy who wouldn't mind Ruff being gone.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:25 pm 
Star Sniper

FWIW, I think the organization has to answer for why they signed Leino with the idea of playing him at center. Apparently this was done only through discussion with his agent, who would obviously say, "Sure, Leino can and will play anywhere you want!". That's what the agent is supposed to say, but Leino must have looked at them cross-eyed at the start of camp, because Ruff never even tried Leino at center until injuries caused an attempt on the 3rd line later in the season.

Eventually I think Leino did very well with board work and puck possession playing with Roy and Pominville, but that's nowhere near what he was signed for and not close to being worth 4.5 mil. Oddly, from what I've heard (as late as today from Regier in a phone interview with Vogl) Leino is very competitive, but he needs playmakers and finishers to collect points. Ideally he'd be a 2nd/3rd line LW in a role as the grinder, keeping a cycle going and allowing the skill players to finish chances, at about 2.5 mil. The front office learned that the hard way, and I hope it was a one-time case of being giddy out of the gate on free agency with a blank check to write from Pegula.

jordano
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:22 pm 
Two-Way Center

jordano wrote:

Uh...are we really going to pretend that I blamed Leino's subpar production on Ruff's inability to motivate him? Where did that come from?

Hahaha I knew you'd say this. I was seeking clarification of your statement hence the question mark.

#1 Hockey Nation.

patkane88
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:20 pm 
Captain Clutch

What should happen: Just let derek roy go and get a bonafide top center,

What will happen: sign Roy to 10 year contract with a NTC and draft more useless small centers

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:37 am 
Captain Clutch

BlueandYellow wrote:
Wozniak wrote:
jordano wrote:

so its possible.

Leino played on several different lines, and nobody really clicked with him.
Ruff shouldn't change his system, only for one player
Leino being unfairly treated by Ruff is a crock of shit, because Ruff shuffled lines CONSTANTLY and he never produced. So it's not Ruff's fault, it's Leino's fault. This coming from a guy who wouldn't mind Ruff being gone.

True, Ruff shouldn't change his system for one player....Change it for all the players. When shit ain't working, you fix it. It's painfully obvious that Ruffs system doesn't work, hasn't worked in years. Has he changed course, nope, just players. No one seems to excel in his system. I am very curious to see how well Foligno does when he gets into the system full time. I would not be surprised to see his production and physical play dimish rapidly. Only time will tell...

What should happen: Lindy/Darcy gets the boot along with Roy, Sekera, and Boyes (for starters). Sign Goose to a new contract

What will happen: Lindy/Darcy stay for several more season and Roy/Sekera sign huge contracts with NTC's so they can "play out" their careers without fear of being traded. Goose does come back for a day so he can show off the Stanley Cup to Pegula, Darcy, Black, and Ruff while he grabs his junk and yells "suck it bitches!!!" Boyes does gets sent packing....

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:19 pm 
Hart Winner

Change it for all the players and Stafford, Ennis, and Foligno might not produce the way they did. Vanek and Pommers may suck. Who knows.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:30 pm 
Power Forward

jordano wrote:
HipKat wrote:

First, why does Cody Hodgson need to be motivated? I wasn't aware he had issues in this department?
Second, there's only so much a coach can do to "motivate" their players. Players deserve most of the blame when it comes to their performance.

Not really on the coaches. Coaches are there to maintain and give motivation to on a team. If it were all up to the players then we wouldn't have any use for coaches.

and our lil rush to the end of last years season was nice to, but all in all it's the Cup that matters at the end. If we are gonna win these "CUPS" as Pegula stated then all non-playoff and or non-stanley cup seasons should be considered a disappointment.

What should happen:

1. Lindy Fired or Mutually Part Ways
2. Resign Sulzer
3. Trade either Sekera or Leopold
4. Sign a enforcer or just resign Kaleta
5. Try to move up in the draft and or get something for one of the 1st rounders we got hell we even got 2 2nd rounders
6. Move Roy
7. Try and add some more scoring, I'd really like to pull a trade involving Isles with Okposo and there 1st for ?

What will happen:

1. Lindy stays. As evident of team saying he's staying.
2. Prolly end up just sitting with the draft picks and get some top prospects into our system which isn't bad at all
3. I think this is the year we move Roy if not we lose him for nothing come next offseason. So better off to get rid of him now.
4. I think we'll sign Buffalo's own Beth Phoenix of the WWE to be our enforcer :think:

jordano
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:35 pm 
Two-Way Center

Jammerz04 wrote:
jordano wrote:
HipKat wrote:

Coaches are there to maintain and give motivation to on a team. If it were all up to the players then we wouldn't have any use for coaches.

Wouldn't have any use for coaches? I'm pretty sure coaches do more than motivate a team. :|

#1 Hockey Nation.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:38 pm 
Hart Winner

jordano wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:
jordano wrote:
HipKat wrote:

Coaches are there to maintain and give motivation to on a team. If it were all up to the players then we wouldn't have any use for coaches.

Wouldn't have any use for coaches? I'm pretty sure coaches do more than motivate a team. :|

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:35 pm 
Power Forward

BlueandYellow wrote:
jordano wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:
jordano wrote:
HipKat wrote:

Sorry I actually meant that Ya they do other shit to besides motivation; but motivation is one of the biggest key factors in a coaches arsenal. All the way up there strategy.