It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:17 am 
Superstar Goalie

We are all pissed it's golf season. Let's not turn on each other fellas.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:31 pm 
Star Sniper

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393958

Forget it, Detroit is advertising for Parise, Suter...everyone else. Buffalo will have a hard time getting return phone calls from these players' agents when teams like Detroit have money to spend.

daz28
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:54 pm 
Star Sniper

They won't have the "tons" of money they think they will. Re-upping on Lidstrom and Stuart will eat at least half of the $20M right off the bat. Hudler, Helm, Quincey, Holmstrom, and Abdelkader all got paydays coming, too. They might be able to sign one guy, but they need to keep Howard's contract the following year in mind too(although Lidstrom will prob be gone after next year).

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:57 pm 
Power Forward

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
Well to take that line of thinking totally literally, Crosby hasn't had a good season either.

We shouldn't be discounting the effects of returning from his thigh injury. I don't like his penchant for TOs or some attitude issues that appear to have merit. But he is still in the #25-35 range of centers in the game. If he was able to center one of three balanced scoring lines, rather than be forced as the "top" center, I expect another 65 pt season. He's bad at times, but not THAT bad. Keep him until Ennis and Hodgson have proven themselves, and another center is acquired that as well (unless he's the easiest player to trade and shed cap for a Parise signing). If the season is lost and there's nothing to be gained, then trade him at the deadline.

Ok guys Parise isn't comming here. Let's just get that out of the way first and foremost.

Secondly you can't compare Crosby and Roy. That's just beyond stupidity. Sorry bro I don't wanna be a asshole by sayng that but you just can't do that. Roy had what 44 pts in 80 games and Crosby had 37 pts injust 22 games this year. That's on pace for 138 pts, which would've lead the league. He had just 7 pts less than Roy while playinig 58 games less than Roy.

The guy IMO and many others opinions has to be traded. Vanek and Poms will do better with Hodgson as there center fulltime. Ennis and Hodgson are ready to take over and honestly I wouldn't want Roy grooming these guys. Ennis if not injured would have possibly lead the team in points and CoHo just had 4 pts less than Roy I believe. Pretty similar stats on CoHo's part so IMO if you can find a better center than CoHo and Ennis then get him by all means but honestly Roy isn't better than neither.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:21 am 
Star Sniper

daz28 wrote:
They won't have the "tons" of money they think they will. Re-upping on Lidstrom and Stuart will eat at least half of the $20M right off the bat. Hudler, Helm, Quincey, Holmstrom, and Abdelkader all got paydays coming, too. They might be able to sign one guy, but they need to keep Howard's contract the following year in mind too(although Lidstrom will prob be gone after next year).

Holmstrom won't be re-signed unless it's for bottom dollar. Word is that Stuart will sign back in San Jose to be closer to family. Fun fact - I played poker in Vegas with Stuart's uncle. He said Stuart's wife is a real uh...handful, and that she puts a lot of pressure on Stuart to put hockey far down on the list of priorities.

Jammerz, not only are you digging up an old comment but you totally missed the point. The rest of the thread should explain it.

daz28
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:41 pm 
Star Sniper

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
daz28 wrote:

Holmstrom won't be re-signed unless it's for bottom dollar. Word is that Stuart will sign back in San Jose to be closer to family. Fun fact - I played poker in Vegas with Stuart's uncle. He said Stuart's wife is a real uh...handful, and that she puts a lot of pressure on Stuart to put hockey far down on the list of priorities.

The Sharks already have $20M tied up in 5 defensemen as it is. They will have cap woes next year. They have 6 roster spots to fill with under $9M, and that's only if they're comfortable with Greiss as a backup at $560k. Brad's wife better have a plan to cook the books if she wants him there. He could possibly fit in there, but it would cause BIG issues down the road.

If the Wings re-up on all their own players at last years salaries, they won't have anything left. I think it's almost comical they said "tons".

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:26 pm 
Star Sniper

Detroit only spent 59 mil this season though, and they don't expect all of their UFAs back. Even if Lidstrom re-signs, odds are he agrees to a contract with a lesser cap hit. Bottom line is that Detroit will easily be in better cap shape than Buffalo. They also have the reputation to draw big names at under market value. I still expect Buffalo to make a run at UFAs, and they can manage the cap space for one big signing, but the odds are slim when a team like Detroit makes a public statement that they'll be buyers.

As for SJ, yeah they're in cap trouble, but everything I read says they have plans to dump a few big contracts, and if Stuart moves it's going to be on a discount for family and convenience.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:34 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Their cap situation makes it very implausible that they could sign Parise unless they dumped lots of salary.

As it sits now, if they give Ennis 2.75M, Kaleta a QO of just over $1M, fill in the other two forward sports with Tropp/Foligno, and let Sulzer walk, they only have $1.1M in cap space. Even then it's only 22 roster players.

There would have to be a significant player move to make room for this to work. The only thing I could see would be Vanek, and he might be attractive to a cap floor team since his cash payout is less than his cap hit.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:06 pm 
Captain Dynasty

the flint journal says the wings are going after parise AND suter, and will make significant changes to the roster. FWIW.

daz28
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:37 pm 
Star Sniper

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
the flint journal says the wings are going after parise AND suter, and will make significant changes to the roster. FWIW.

I hate the Wings, so I'm biased, but I think they're talking out there asses. The only roster moves made that will effect the roster significantly are Lidstrom retiring, Quincey being a dick(or some GM), and Stuart moving on. They shouldn't want any of these things to happen. Otherwise, they will not gain any significant cap number without a trade, which wouldn't be in their favor. If they're smart, they pay Hudler, Helm, and Abdelkader as opposed to overpaying a tier 2 free-agent.. Losing Holmstrom hurts the club more than the $1.8M it gains them in cap. Ya, so either they're talking about shopping Zetty or Pavel for whatever they can get for them, or it seems like they're TOTA. I see them to have $3 or 4m in cap space to spend, w/o giving away salaries(which hurts you in a trade).

As for Buffalo's situation, they look better, and I'll tell you why I think so. Buffalo has tradeable players with deals that are better than we'd like to think moving forward. Here's what teams will have to spend next year, http://www.capgeek.com/index.php?charts_year=2012. Vanek and Luongo(maybe even Leino) WILL be moveable in that market seeing the free-agent pool will be wasted money for sure this year, beyond a couple players. By simple supply/demand, it looks like good roster players are in demand, and they will be demanding good salaries. The bottom 11 teams are sitting on over $150M cap space right now! Another reason I believe Buffalo is in better shape is because Pegula told Darcy to go out and try stuff. I'll guess that means he'd bury anyone who was dumb enough not to get a NMC(ya you Ville), which I believe he will do w/o a 2nd thought. If he throws $100M at an establishment he doesn't even own, then I guess he'd spend $25m on a call-up player on his OWN FRANCHISE. Trade/hide Roy and Leino, that opens up $85M to offer Parise to come play in hockey heaven with his bro, Drew. Way simpler than people would like to think it is. That or be the new guy in Detroit's fading glory(no offense, but they're aging). For those who forgot, Terry ate over $5 this year, so why would he be afraid to do less going forward. Also, I think Leino is a steal on re-entry waivers for 2.25, so cut that number in half, please. Re-entry waivers may become more frequent now that Terry's around, lol.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:33 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

You should probably look first. As of today, assuming Lidstrom retires, they have almost $21M in cap space.

They could sign Parise and Suter to $8M cap hit deals, and still have just under $5M to spend on depth forwards, and their 6th/7th defenseman. That's without trading anyone on the roster today.

I don't think they will sign both, and they can talk all they want, but you can't say they don't have the cap space.

daz28
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:01 pm 
Star Sniper

Squanto wrote:
You should probably look first.

but you can't say they don't have the cap space.

Daye, I did look first. ASSUMING he DOESN'T(because he doesn't seem finished) retire, and they keep Stuart(which would be wise), that eats 10 of the 20 million. THEN, letting Hudler go would be dumb, so there goes 4 more million. They like Helm a lot, so I'll guess he may get almost 2 million. They just gave up their 1st for Quincey, so I'll guess they want him resigned. That's another $4 million. That leaves them with 10 roster forwards, and Ooh, that's $20 million isn't it? Doubting there's room for Parise after they scrape to fill those 2 roster spots. Now when Lidstrom more likely retires next year, they have to pay Howard, so they need to keep that in mind, too. Didn't I already go over all this in a previous post? Maybe I should go LOOK.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:23 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I wasn't intending to be that snarky, so I'll ignore yours.

You're making a lot of assumptions about all these players that are going to be signed. I'm simply pointing out that they have a lot more to work with than you're suggesting, and if they're serious about turning over the roster like they say, they're not going to keep all the guys you mentioned.

It's pretty much a given that if you're going to sign two premium FAs you're going to turn over other parts of the roster.

daz28
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:34 pm 
Star Sniper

Squanto wrote:
I wasn't intending to be that snarky, so I'll ignore yours.

You're making a lot of assumptions about all these players that are going to be signed. I'm simply pointing out that they have a lot more to work with than you're suggesting, and if they're serious about turning over the roster like they say, they're not going to keep all the guys you mentioned.

It's pretty much a given that if you're going to sign two premium FAs you're going to turn over other parts of the roster.

As I said, if the just re-signed their own, they'd be at cap max. Assuming they're going to overpay a free agent is probably more of an assumption than thinking they'll re-sign there own, imo. It also causes them to lose guys they like. If I may read between the lines, they got bounced, and are throwing their fans a bone. I just think the bone isn't very realistic at all. Letting Hudler, Helm and Quincey walk to overpay from a lousy free agent market just to 'turn over the roster' isn't smart or likely. Signing Suter to a huge contract means they're filling 2 holes with one guy. You don't get better that way.

As for the snarky bit, lets just remember that all opinions are valid, and no ones opinions are facts. Opening any post with "you should probably look first" is pretty much flaming a poster insinuating they don't research, and I'm sure you know that being a past mod.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Again, I re-read what I wrote and realized it sounded too harsh. That wasn't my intent, so I apologize.

I'd appreciate it if the fact that I used to be a mod didn't come up every time I say something kinda out of line. That was a big reason I stopped posting here for a while, and I'd like to not revisit that.

daz28
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 pm 
Star Sniper

Squanto wrote:
Again, I re-read what I wrote and realized it sounded too harsh. That wasn't my intent, so I apologize.

I'd appreciate it if the fact that I used to be a mod didn't come up every time I say something kinda out of line. That was a big reason I stopped posting here for a while, and I'd like to not revisit that.

Well, I wasn't trying to throw it in your face, just stating that you should have known you'd get a rise, as you've probably had to stop shitstorms started in ways similar to that.

Anyways, let's let it go.

I believe the Red Wings are trying to get their fans to believe they're on the fast track back to success, much like the Sabres did last year. As a Red Wing hater, I'm relishing the fact it won't be easy at all, and I feel the Sabres are in a much better place than them.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:13 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I don't disagree.

At the end of the day I don't think the Wings get either player.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:15 pm 
Star Sniper

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/80343 ... -red-wings

Detroit trades Stuart to San Jose so that he can be with the family. Detroit gets a bottom six forward and a conditional 7th rd pick, and has now cleared 11 million in cap space without Lidstrom and Stuart. Detroit managed to at least get something before Stuart walked on July 1st.

If Detroit re-signs all of Hudler, Holmstrom, Helm, Abdelkader and Quincey that should add about 15 mil to their cap number for a total of 57 mil. That would leave them with about 13 mil in cap space and only two d-man spots to fill, if the reported new cap ceiling of 70 mil is accurate. If spending to the cap is too risky due to Howard's pending UFA status or fears of the new CBA, they don't have to re-sign all those guys mentioned above. Bottom line is that they're still in position to do whatever they want on July 1st.

Buffalo, assuming they re-sign Ennis, Kaleta and keep Tropp and Foligno on the roster, will have 22 players signed for 63 mil. That leaves a max of 7 mil for one forward.

Two spots and 13 mil vs one spot and 7 mil. Pretty much the same cap situation except that Detroit has a much better organization, team, and reputation to lure UFAs. Pegula can and will spend whatever is necessary, but they still need the cap room to OVERPAY in order to beat out organizations like Detroit, NY, etc. Regardless, so far I'm getting the idea that Regier (post Leino) and other GMs will be pretty shy about UFA signings this summer. After Parise and Suter the drop off is huge, so I expect a busy trade market, starting on draft day.