It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

union jack
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:23 am 
Late-Round Gem

SeveredLegionair wrote:
i don't think anyone is "putting stock" in what Eklund, HockeyyInsiderr or others might say. But its just fun to go over the "what ifs" and "would-or-wouldn't you" Sometimes those bloggers are right but the vast majority of the time they are just feeding BS because really only the teams know. Which is fine, when i goto those sites or twitter feeds its just for entertainment. And hell if i could make a living or even just some extra cash by making up BS about "possible" hockey moves i would do it in a minute. So i think some people get to worked up over this stuff either because they take it to seriously or they think someone else does. I like looking at my twitter feed with all the rumor guys on it. just because its fun.. and honestly until there is an actual trade.. there isn't much else to do.

:clap: Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:03 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

SeveredLegionair wrote:
i don't think anyone is "putting stock" in what Eklund, HockeyyInsiderr or others might say. But its just fun to go over the "what ifs" and "would-or-wouldn't you" Sometimes those bloggers are right but the vast majority of the time they are just feeding BS because really only the teams know. Which is fine, when i goto those sites or twitter feeds its just for entertainment. And hell if i could make a living or even just some extra cash by making up BS about "possible" hockey moves i would do it in a minute. So i think some people get to worked up over this stuff either because they take it to seriously or they think someone else does. I like looking at my twitter feed with all the rumor guys on it. just because its fun.. and honestly until there is an actual trade.. there isn't much else to do.

Right.

That's why hockey forum after hockey forum is full of people who repeat stuff these hacks post day after day after day. That's why 'professional' media members give these guys airtime.

Why people are entertained by information that is guaranteed to be false is beyond my capability to understand.

SeveredLegionair
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:35 pm 
7th Defenseman

its the same reason people are entertained by magic, you know its complete BS but its cool to watch and wonder. Honestly could you imagine if there were NO rumors, it would instead be like watching just the news and if there were none you would be just left wanting.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:17 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

You comparison is a poor one.

For a magic show, you expect to be deceived 100% of the time. (Unless you're watching that show that explains how the tricks are done. :p )The deception is part of the allure.

With hockey NEWS, emphasis on the NEWS, that shouldn't be the case. Before the lockout, which is when the overwhelming majority of these fake rumor mills started popping up, you didn't have to sort through the bullshit. If a reporter said that the Sabres were interested in going after player X, you knew that they were trying to do just that. If something wasn't true, it didn't get reported.

Today, that's just not the case. Every time there is a report about a player from anyone that isn't TSN's hockey staff, you have to trace it back to it's source to consider the legitimacy, and more often than not it traces back to a college kid with a twitter account. I, for one, am too busy to spend time making value judgements on the veracity of every bullshit rumor that surfaces. If there is no news, THEN DON'T REPORT ANYTHING. What's the point of news for the sake of news?

If you want to talk about possibilities, then ok. There's forums like this one for that. But keep the bullshit out of the news cycle. It shouldn't be there.

union jack
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:15 am 
Late-Round Gem

Calm down.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:20 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I'm quite calm.

Don't poke the bear. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

union jack
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:24 am 
Late-Round Gem

:)

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:01 pm 
Cup Winner

Squanto wrote:
You comparison is a poor one.

For a magic show, you expect to be deceived 100% of the time. (Unless you're watching that show that explains how the tricks are done. :p )The deception is part of the allure.

With hockey NEWS, emphasis on the NEWS, that shouldn't be the case. Before the lockout, which is when the overwhelming majority of these fake rumor mills started popping up, you didn't have to sort through the bullshit. If a reporter said that the Sabres were interested in going after player X, you knew that they were trying to do just that. If something wasn't true, it didn't get reported.

Today, that's just not the case. Every time there is a report about a player from anyone that isn't TSN's hockey staff, you have to trace it back to it's source to consider the legitimacy, and more often than not it traces back to a college kid with a twitter account. I, for one, am too busy to spend time making value judgements on the veracity of every bullshit rumor that surfaces. If there is no news, THEN DON'T REPORT ANYTHING. What's the point of news for the sake of news?

If you want to talk about possibilities, then ok. There's forums like this one for that. But keep the bullshit out of the news cycle. It shouldn't be there.

The reason these things get reported now is because of the simplicity it is to make a rumor now. Before the lockout smart phones weren't in everyone's hands, and the internet wasn't as widespread as it is now.

It's too bad that there are so many rumors out there, but it's fun to speculate on if we got that player at all.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:09 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I'm aware of the reasons why, and Hockeyy Insiderr is a prime example of the current state of things.

He's a 17 year old high school student (outed today) who has duped thousands of people into thinking he's something he's not.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:15 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
I'm quite calm.

Don't poke the bear. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

dont do it, union jack. squanto is a tenacious defender, and though i won our arguments every single time (and i mean every single time)... it was longgg and drawn out. like vietnam.

;)

blugibson
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:57 pm 
Rink Rat

The arrogance of some posters on this board can be directly linked to the reason this board has so few participants.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:02 pm 
Captain Dynasty

blugibson wrote:
The arrogance of some posters on this board can be directly linked to the reason this board has so few participants.

if your talking about what i just posted, i was completely kidding.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:27 pm 
PP Quarterback

blugibson wrote:

You're new here. You'll get used to it. Mike uses sarcasm more than 80% of the time. 50% of the time, I can never tell, but I think I'm learning.

It's really funny. You could always tell that HockeyyInsiderr act was pretty strange, that something just wasn't right. His blatant lack of professionalism was the first giveaway. Answering to the #HATERS was the second one. He's complaining to all of his "50,000" followers that he isn't a 17-year old, but he's doing it in the manner a 17-year-old would.

Irony. Truly a dead scene.

@TJLuckman550

ksquier89
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:09 pm 
PP Quarterback

Also, anytime I talk on here stands a good chance I am being a sarcastic asshole. Just keep that in mind. Rarely, if ever, do I openly attack someone without cause.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:48 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
blugibson wrote:

You're new here. You'll get used to it. Mike uses sarcasm more than 80% of the time. 50% of the time, I can never tell, but I think I'm learning.

It's really funny. You could always tell that HockeyyInsiderr act was pretty strange, that something just wasn't right. His blatant lack of professionalism was the first giveaway. Answering to the #HATERS was the second one. He's complaining to all of his "50,000" followers that he isn't a 17-year old, but he's doing it in the manner a 17-year-old would.

He's doing that because a blogger did some basic connecting of the dots, and is saying that H.I. is a 17 year old kid from Quebec. Via Deadspin : http://kyriacou22.blogspot.ca/2012/08/w ... iderr.html

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:58 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i realized hockeyyinsiderr was a tool when he manufactured this personal war with dreger because dreger unfollowed him or something. thats when i realized that not only was HI a fraud, but a tool as well.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:00 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
blugibson wrote:

i just like to fuck with people. any way i can. dry humour gets me off.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:36 am 
PP Quarterback

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
blugibson wrote:

i just like to fuck with people. any way i can. dry humour gets me off.

Like dry humour leads to a little fap, fap?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:46 pm 
Captain Dynasty

listen here, pervert.

yes.