It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:58 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I don't think there will be a drastic bump from Toronto, but there should be some.

Average Bisons attendance was above 8000 from 2005-2010, but dropped down to 7300 this year, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that the Mets farm system has sucked for so long that nobody wanted to watch them play.

The Jays have long been known for competitive farm teams. Part of that was money; cheaper to keep good talent down and not have to pay them. Either way, if they put a decent product on the field, people will come back. We shall certainly see.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:25 am 
PP Quarterback

i think it's more ticket prices than mets' farm team problems. i just think they're too high. plus you have to park and everything. there's no winning, and it's a minor league club.

the stadium is a hassle to go to on a weeknight and spend at least $40 to watch a minor league team.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:27 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I guess I just disagree on that.

Tickets are right around $10, cheaper if you get them in advance. You can effectively park for $2.50 by parking at UB South for free and getting a round trip Metro Rail ticket. Or, there are places a couple blocks away from the ballpark that you can street park for free after 6pm if you don't mind a short walk. Most summer nights that's not a big deal. (There's a spot I park at for nothing that's a 5 minute walk from both the Effin Center and Ballpark. It's super nice.) Concessions are concessions, never cheap, but not outrageous either.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:11 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
I don't think there will be a drastic bump from Toronto, but there should be some.

Average Bisons attendance was above 8000 from 2005-2010, but dropped down to 7300 this year, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that the Mets farm system has sucked for so long that nobody wanted to watch them play.

The Jays have long been known for competitive farm teams. Part of that was money; cheaper to keep good talent down and not have to pay them. Either way, if they put a decent product on the field, people will come back. We shall certainly see.

8000 for a AAA team is a high number. most stadiums dont hold more than 10,000. the bisons just happen to play a massive (for a minor league team) stadium.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:58 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
8000 for a AAA team is a high number. most stadiums dont hold more than 10,000. the bisons just happen to play a massive (for a minor league team) stadium.

It was build that way on purpose. Buffalo was in the final 6 in the 93 expansion derby. They designed it to for an upper deck and a lot of outfield expansion.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:07 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

It was build that way on purpose. Buffalo was in the final 6 in the 93 expansion derby. They designed it to for an upper deck and a lot of outfield expansion.

yeah, i remember reading that. since expansion to buffalo probably isnt in the cards, couldnt the re-configure the park to be more intimate? i mean, its not necessary, but what is it? 22,000 seats?

so much room, they could turn the stadium into a destination.

yes, i realize, tom, its not necessary. dont hate me, i just see so much potential.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:27 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Probably not much they could do. The already took out a lot of the outfield bleachers, and put some party sections in.

The major complaint most have is the 2nd deck is a bit far back, but they can't really move that forward without cutting the top half of the building off and starting over. Not likely.

They're supposed to be redoing some of the concourses in the next year or so, and the seats could use some work too. But I don't think they'll do much more than that.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:04 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
Probably not much they could do. The already took out a lot of the outfield bleachers, and put some party sections in.

The major complaint most have is the 2nd deck is a bit far back, but they can't really move that forward without cutting the top half of the building off and starting over. Not likely.

They're supposed to be redoing some of the concourses in the next year or so, and the seats could use some work too. But I don't think they'll do much more than that.

i imagine taking out the upper deck completely, putting in boxes. totally unnecessary though, probably.

most ballparks built in that time period have second decks that are set WAY back. this was before they starting the retro craze, though i remember you saying that pilot field was almost like a test drive for the future retro parks. theres alot of potential there, thats for sure.

id imagine if buffalo ever got back in the MLB game, theyd just build a new park completely, right?