It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

ksquier89
 Post subject: Re: Sabres' Offense
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:44 pm 
PP Quarterback

I have a bench press in my garage and condoms next to my bed. Does not mean I used them. I am questioning his work ethic. It is great he went and did that. Does not mean he tried at all

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:50 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
For a kid who doesn't care about hockey, staying in Buffalo this offseason to work with the NHL players instead of going back to Russia doesn't mean a thing?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6813 ... nhl-search

Yes, he needs to work on his skating, and Rolston knows this. Skating can be a big hindrance to plenty of things, look at Hodgson's skating in the past. And look at how much it has improved in the last two years.

Great. He stayed and worked out. Big deal. Work as hard on the ice as you do in the workout room, and then we can defend him.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:54 pm 
Cup Winner

ksquier89 wrote:
I have a bench press in my garage and condoms next to my bed. Does not mean I used them. I am questioning his work ethic. It is great he went and did that. Does not mean he tried at all

And then again, you don't see what goes on behind closed doors. He may be working the hardest out there and in the gym but we will never know because all we see is a 19 year old kid with skating issues struggling in the NHL, which he really isn't struggling that badly. Therei is a reason our third line has created the most chances so far. Girgensons and Flynn skate the hardest down the ice and Grigorenko sends a pass to them, and even still I see the kid knocking on the doorstep of the goal if the puck is in the corner waiting for a pass.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:04 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:

And then again, you don't see what goes on behind closed doors. He may be working the hardest out there and in the gym but we will never know because all we see is a 19 year old kid with skating issues struggling in the NHL, which he really isn't struggling that badly. Therei is a reason our third line has created the most chances so far. Girgensons and Flynn skate the hardest down the ice and Grigorenko sends a pass to them, and even still I see the kid knocking on the doorstep of the goal if the puck is in the corner waiting for a pass.

The thing that bugs is not that he is slow, it is that it looks that he could be faster or that he could get where he's supposed to be if he hustled. I know he's just 19 (if it's true), but work ethic is a bitch to learn.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:07 pm 
Cup Winner

Anyone see the lines at practice today?
26 Thomas Vanek – 63 Tyler Ennis – 28 Zemgus Girgensons
82 Marcus Foligno – 25 Mikhail Grigorenko – 21 Drew Stafford
9 Steve Ott – 12 Kevin Porter – 65 Brian Flynn
22 Johan Larsson – 8 Cody McCormick – 36 Patrick Kaleta

10 Christian Ehrhoff – 3 Mark Pysyk
6 Mike Weber – 57 Tyler Myers
4 Jamie McBain – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
52 Alexander Sulzer – 32 John Scott

1 Jhonas Enroth
31 Matt Hackett

May only be because Hodgson is out for the reason Grigorenko is on the second line. But Girgensons skated with Vanek and Ennis.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:08 pm 
PP Quarterback

ksquier89 wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
Crosscheck said it, the powerplay has gotten even worse under Teppo. You always get a feeling a short hander might be coming up instead of a powerplay goal. If your skilled guys aren't capable of scoring goals on 5-4, they'll certainly have troubles 5-5.

I think Grigorenko will be a bust. He's slow and doesn't show a lot of effort. Soft hands aren't enough to become a good NHL player. I hope he proves me wrong.

It's too early to say, but I've been saying that since he half-assed it in the playoffs for Rochester last year. The kid just doesn't seem to give a shit.

I know it's too early, it's just a feeling. When you watch him play, score a goal, give the puck away, I've never felt like he gives a fuck. Girgenson gives me the opposite feeling and I think he will be a good player although he might not have the potential of Grigorenko... Man, how I hate the word "potential", thanks Drew.

I have never seen this board agree in unison that one player needs to go and is bringing the team down. There is almost always someone willing to back up the player in question. Drew may be our first. I think some type of award or congratulations are in order. I mean it is impressive, really. Also, Grigs def has the laid back I am just going to wait and see if the play comes to me attitude. Not big into going 100% all the time. Not the go make my own chance type of player.

The discussion about Stafford is going for years and there've always been people defending him. I was one of them, I wanted him to stay and show that he'll finally use his potential, but he almost never did. I guess by now (with a new coach), everybody has lost hope that he'll come around.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:11 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:

Rolston pretty much called out Grigorenko on his "compete level" after the Ottawa game. He needs to work harder. That third line is a testament to the work Girgensons and Flynn do on it, not do Grigorenko's passes to them.

@TJLuckman550

ksquier89
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:18 pm 
PP Quarterback

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:

Rolston pretty much called out Grigorenko on his "compete level" after the Ottawa game. He needs to work harder. That third line is a testament to the work Girgensons and Flynn do on it, not do Grigorenko's passes to them.

Compete level=interview coach speak for he doesn't give a shit

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:12 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Anyone see the lines at practice today?
26 Thomas Vanek – 63 Tyler Ennis – 28 Zemgus Girgensons
82 Marcus Foligno – 25 Mikhail Grigorenko – 21 Drew Stafford
9 Steve Ott – 12 Kevin Porter – 65 Brian Flynn
22 Johan Larsson – 8 Cody McCormick – 36 Patrick Kaleta

10 Christian Ehrhoff – 3 Mark Pysyk
6 Mike Weber – 57 Tyler Myers
4 Jamie McBain – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
52 Alexander Sulzer – 32 John Scott

1 Jhonas Enroth
31 Matt Hackett

May only be because Hodgson is out for the reason Grigorenko is on the second line. But Girgensons skated with Vanek and Ennis.

That line would be perfect.

@TJLuckman550

AudSabres
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:22 am 
Superstar Goalie

sabretoothpick wrote:
Crosscheck said it, the powerplay has gotten even worse under Teppo.

True as this might be, the bastard has the best head of hair in the game.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:09 pm 
PP Quarterback

AudSabres wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:

One more reason for me to not like him :)

PS: I've always liked him as a player.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:07 pm 
PP Quarterback

AudSabres wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:

Lolololol. Yes he does. Like wolf the dentist standing from Mighty Ducks

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:29 pm 
Cup Winner

We got both of out goals tonight on the PP.

Rud wrote:

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:56 pm 
Hart Winner

I was a little more impressed with Grigorenko last night.

And BTW, Foligno is a beast. Put him on a line with Girgensons and Grigorenko if you want Grigorenko to work harder.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:42 am 
Captain Clutch

I'm still thinking Grigorenko is a bust, right now. I can't wait till he's old enough to be sent to AHL.... He needs a crap load more developing. More than anyone expected...

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:46 am 
PP Quarterback

sabresindc wrote:
I'm still thinking Grigorenko is a bust, right now. I can't wait till he's old enough to be sent to AHL.... He needs a crap load more developing. More than anyone expected...

He doesn't need more development, he just needs to get after it more. He's playing as a center, so he needs to do a lot more work in the offensive zone in terms of getting to the puck.

@TJLuckman550

ksquier89
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:23 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
I was a little more impressed with Grigorenko last night.

And BTW, Foligno is a beast. Put him on a line with Girgensons and Grigorenko if you want Grigorenko to work harder.

Foligno was trying to do to much last year and didn't just play his game. Last game is the foligno we need out there. One play in particular was when a player felt Foligno breathing down his neck on a dump in and mishandled the puck, producing a turnover, and almost led to a goal. People are afraid when his ass is flying around out there. Nobody tries that prissy finesse bullshit when his line is out on the ice. Take the body on the opposing line early and it fucks with their heads the rest of the game. This poke and let your guy blow by is bullshit. We have big guys out there and they need to start playing their size. Foligno was wearing off on stafford.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:41 pm 
Hart Winner

And if he can wear off on Stafford, he definitely can wear off on Grigorenko. He's like a little Lucic, just without the production (for now) and he isn't a total cunt face.

EDIT: Welp, there he goes getting healthy scratched. After what, 4 games? Why is Rolston making the same mistake that was made last year? He's a rookie, they need to get him ice time...

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:47 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
And if he can wear off on Stafford, he definitely can wear off on Grigorenko. He's like a little Lucic, just without the production (for now) and he isn't a total cunt face.

EDIT: Welp, there he goes getting healthy scratched. After what, 4 games? Why is Rolston making the same mistake that was made last year? He's a rookie, they need to get him ice time...

The problem with Grigorenko, at least to me, is he thinks he deserves the ice time, but he's not producing the results, nor is he doing the right things on the ice (coach quotes such as "he needs to get his compete level up" are telling). Take this quote from the Buffalo News today:

Quote:
“Obviously, I didn’t have as much time as the first couple games, but it’s up to coach,” Grigorenko said. “At this time of the game, he probably would rather put out other guys. We almost won the game, so I’ll just keep working and hopefully I’ll get back my ice time.”

That, to me, sounds like a guy who just thinks he should be getting the ice-time. That's not a good attitude to have.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:14 pm 
Hart Winner

What rookie player gets kept up only to be benched after four games? We've given Stafford years but can't give Grigorenko longer than four games?