It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:34 pm 
PP Quarterback

It was great to hear Kevin Devine say it this morning:

@TJLuckman550

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:31 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Wow, shouldn't that be obvious?
I mean even on D where they have a pile of guys they're still not rock solid.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:55 pm 
PP Quarterback

Crosscheck wrote:
Wow, shouldn't that be obvious?
I mean even on D where they have a pile of guys they're still not rock solid.

If you've read through the thread, there are guys that don't agree with you or me on that.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:03 pm 
Hart Winner

It comes down to this; which position are we most lacking in, F or D.

Answer is forwards. We scored the least goals in the league. We added guys off waiver into OUR TOP SIX (Omark, D'agostini, Conacher). We have reliable defensemen already that won't be replaced (Ehrhoff, Myers, Weber) and we have the young guys (Ristolainen, Zadorov, Ruhwedel). Then we have the veterans and other young guys and possibly free agents to fill the hole.

WE HAVE TYLER ENNIS AND DREW STAFFORD AS OUR TOP TWO FORWARDS.

Tyler Ennis is a 2nd line player, which, I like him, but a 50 point a year player (which is what he would be on a stable team's roster) who scores 40 on this team SHOULD NOT be your top forward. And Stafford sucks camel dick. If we had an OKAY group of forwards, I'd say fuck it, draft Ekblad. But we just cannot have a top six that can be penetrated with WAIVER PICKUPS. That's just fuckin' nuts! lol.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:25 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

BlueandYellow wrote:

These guys are 30th in the league by impressive numbers.
They're most lacking everywhere.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:50 pm 
Hart Winner

Crosscheck wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

These guys are 30th in the league by impressive numbers.
They're most lacking everywhere.

I'd say they're most lacking in the category where they're putting 4th liners/AHL players on their 1st line.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:22 pm 
Cup Winner

We need forwards more than defensemen. We have a crop of defensemen that are coming up in McCabe, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk, Ruhwedel, and a slew of others. Those five guys right there give us enough depth at that position to move forward with.

On forward side of the puck we have Armia and Grigorenko basically. Yea, we have Fasching and Compher too, but who else is probably a blue chip prospect on forward for us?

We need more scoring than anything right now.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:59 am 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
We need forwards more than defensemen. We have a crop of defensemen that are coming up in McCabe, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk, Ruhwedel, and a slew of others. Those five guys right there give us enough depth at that position to move forward with.

On forward side of the puck we have Armia and Grigorenko basically. Yea, we have Fasching and Compher too, but who else is probably a blue chip prospect on forward for us?

We need more scoring than anything right now.

There's no such thing as a sure thing.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:25 pm 
Hart Winner

Thing is, if the best player available is going to be a superstar, take him. Ekblad will NOT be a superstar. Neither will the forwards, but when you're at this talent level in a draft, you need to pick based off your strengths and weaknesses.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:30 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Thing is, if the best player available is going to be a superstar, take him. Ekblad will NOT be a superstar. Neither will the forwards, but when you're at this talent level in a draft, you need to pick based off your strengths and weaknesses.

Ekblad was granted exceptional status to join the OHL when he was 15. He very well could be a superstar defensman.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:37 pm 
Hart Winner

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Ekblad was granted exceptional status to join the OHL when he was 15. He very well could be a superstar defensman.

Except he's not being granted exceptional status to be a superstar defensemen in the NHL. By the big boy scouts. If he's being contended with Reinhart and Bennet for the 1st overall pick, then they are held at the same regard as Ekblad.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:43 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Except he's not being granted exceptional status to be a superstar defensemen in the NHL. By the big boy scouts. If he's being contended with Reinhart and Bennet for the 1st overall pick, then they are held at the same regard as Ekblad.

I think it could be more of a reluctance to rate a defensman as the top pick. People are wary because of what happened with Erik Johnson as the top pick. Yet Seth Jones fell in the draft last year even though he was the top rated prospect for much of the year, and he's already shown tons of promise.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:30 pm 
Hart Winner

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

I think it could be more of a reluctance to rate a defensman as the top pick. People are wary because of what happened with Erik Johnson as the top pick. Yet Seth Jones fell in the draft last year even though he was the top rated prospect for much of the year, and he's already shown tons of promise.

But Nathan Mackinnon is probably going to win the rookie of the year award. Point is, Ekblad isn't regarded like the 1st overall picks that are elite today. Which is why we should take a forward, because if he's probably not going to be a franchise player go with the position you need most.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:40 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

But Nathan Mackinnon is probably going to win the rookie of the year award. Point is, Ekblad isn't regarded like the 1st overall picks that are elite today. Which is why we should take a forward, because if he's probably not going to be a franchise player go with the position you need most.

Which is fine. I'd actually agree with that. I think our hang-up here is how great we think Ekblad can really be. I think he could be great, better than all our young defensmen we already have.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:47 pm 
Cup Winner

Even if he is gonna be a superstar defensemen or not, it is not the weakest part on the team. I know, ranked 29th or something in shots against, but a lot of those shots could be taken away if we had forwards that control the puck in the offensive zone more.

When you are almost half a goal lower than the next team and didn't even score 2 goals a game, you have offensive issues.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:34 am 
PP Quarterback

So you pass up a superstar for a guy who's just a solid scoring forward? The superstar changes the game. He'd be a building block for years to come. Again, we're looking at long term here, not just repairing the roster for next year.

@TJLuckman550

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:44 pm 
PP Quarterback

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
So you pass up a superstar for a guy who's just a solid scoring forward? The superstar changes the game. He'd be a building block for years to come. Again, we're looking at long term here, not just repairing the roster for next year.

Based on what I'v read, Ekblad's chances of becoming a superstar are as big as the 2 forwards chances of becoming a superstar. It appears to be a toss-up and I'd go with a forward if it's 50-50.

I have an additional question: Let's say we draft Ekblad, we don't get McDavid next year and the next best option is another D-man. Do you take him as well?

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:48 pm 
Hart Winner

Thing is, Ekblad isn't going to be a game changer. Players like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Tavares, Stamkos, THOSE are game changers. Ekblad was just surpassed by Reinhart for the NO.1 position. I'd say take the forward who's ranked higher because we don't have any forwards.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:02 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Thing is, Ekblad isn't going to be a game changer. Players like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Tavares, Stamkos, THOSE are game changers. Ekblad was just surpassed by Reinhart for the NO.1 position. I'd say take the forward who's ranked higher because we don't have any forwards.

Every once in a while you get some. Drew Doughty and Alex Pietrangelo were taken pretty early and have been pretty integral to their teams' success.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:02 pm 
Hart Winner

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Every once in a while you get some. Drew Doughty and Alex Pietrangelo were taken pretty early and have been pretty integral to their teams' success.

I personally wouldn't be gambling on Ekblad becoming a Drew Doughty or a Pietrangelo when our forward core is in shambles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next