It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Sabretooth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:23 pm 
Garbage Man

That is a great deal. Do it!

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:25 pm 
Star Sniper

Displaced Fan wrote:
Whatever it would take to get Paul to Buffalo I say we should do it. The guy is on a so so team and could really go far on a line with Vanek. Being an Av's fan, I'd hate to see him go to anyone but Buffalo. The word on the street out here to is that the Av's are looking to rebuild so no one is off the table in Denver.

Well, when you think about it, Duchene is their #1 center, which of course relegates Stastny to #2, and 6.6 million per year is an assload of cash to pay a 2nd line center IMO. So, in that respect, I could see the positives in trading him, from an Avs perspective...

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:26 pm 
Hart Winner

Sabretooth, you know Darcy Regier is not the only GM in the league, meaning he can't just make a miraculous trade anytime he wants... Correct?

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:28 pm 
Star Sniper

BlueandYellow wrote:
Stafford isn't our true #1. Don't let a streak change your mind.

I disagree. He's been a different player this year, and he's been centered primarily either by Connolly or Hecht, and still managed to put up big numbers...

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:29 pm 
Garbage Man

BlueandYellow wrote:
Sabretooth, you know Darcy Regier is not the only GM in the league, meaning he can't just make a miraculous trade anytime he wants... Correct?

Let me counter you. There is only one group of general managers in the National Hockey League. There are not 2 groups, the active group of 29, and the inactive group of 1. Guess where Darcy Regier falls.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:32 pm 
Power Forward

Seanothan27 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

I disagree. He's been a different player this year, and he's been centered primarily either by Connolly or Hecht, and still managed to put up big numbers...

Here is my issue with Stafford. Your a professional and he wasn't even in the best shape the last couple of years. And now with him entering his contract year he is in the best shape of his playing career. No one can doubt he can put the puck in the net but where I have a problem with him is his work ethic and it seems like he has more nights off than on to pay him big bucks.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:33 pm 
Garbage Man

That is a fair assessment of Stafford.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:35 pm 
Power Forward

Sabretooth wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Let me counter you. There is only one group of general managers in the National Hockey League. There are not 2 groups, the active group of 29, and the inactive group of 1. Guess where Darcy Regier falls.

Now that's funny! I just don't see much happening on the sabres front tomorrow unless they overpay. I would rather them dump Connolly and some other unrestricted players and get what you can for them instead of losing them for nothing. But that's just me.

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:35 pm 
Star Sniper

SabresBillsFan wrote:
Seanothan27 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Here is my issue with Stafford. Your a professional and he wasn't even in the best shape the last couple of years. And now with him entering his contract year he is in the best shape of his playing career. No one can doubt he can put the puck in the net but where I have a problem with him is his work ethic and it seems like he has more nights off than on to pay him big bucks.

Valid point. I think the jury will be out on him for at least the next 2 seasons, to see if he can not only sustain his current success, but build upon it. All I'm saying is that, I don't want us to give up on him yet, unless he's in a package to acquire a top-tier center, and even then I'd be a little apprehensive...

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:38 pm 
Garbage Man

SabresBillsFan wrote:
Sabretooth wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Now that's funny! I just don't see much happening on the sabres front tomorrow unless they overpay. I would rather them dump Connolly and some other unrestricted players and get what you can for them instead of losing them for nothing. But that's just me.

Darcy Regier was directed to be active. He has failed so far. These remaining hours will determine his future. I will say he will make several wheel and deal to win moves promptly.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:39 pm 
Power Forward

Seanothan27 wrote:
SabresBillsFan wrote:
Seanothan27 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Valid point. I think the jury will be out on him for at least the next 2 seasons, to see if he can not only sustain his current success, but build upon it. All I'm saying is that, I don't want us to give up on him yet, unless he's in a package to acquire a top-tier center..

I agree if he can be moved for a top line center without packaging too much more for him then do it. I would also like to see Stafford put points up on a more consistent basis before shelling out top dollar. I'm not a big fan of a player that's not in that great a shape and then he's in his contract year and he comes to camp in the best shape of his life. Something is wrong there.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:43 pm 
Garbage Man

When was Stafford out of shape? I thought that was Rivet.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:44 pm 
Power Forward

Sabretooth wrote:
SabresBillsFan wrote:
Sabretooth wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Darcy Regier was directed to be active. He has failed so far. These remaining hours will determine his future. I will say he will make several wheel and deal to win moves promptly.

The only way I see him making a move to greatly improve this team is by overpaying. I don't mind if Buffalo moves Gerbe and maybe a defensive prospect but they won't get you much.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:45 pm 
Power Forward

Sabretooth wrote:
When was Stafford out of shape? I thought that was Rivet.

He wasn't even in the best shape of his career until this training camp.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:48 pm 
Garbage Man

I could understand that from not showing up to score goals.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:13 pm 
Power Forward

Looks like Connolly isn't getting moved tomorrow!
http://wgr550.com/Report--Sabres-Have-N ... ly/9290464

I don't see anyway that Pegula's 3 year plan is going to work with Darcy at the helm. Yeah let's keep Connolly and lose him at the end of the year for nothing.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:17 pm 
Page Side

If the right offer came in for Connolly, I'm sure Darcy would take it.

Thing is, what he's worth at this point isn't worth selling him when we could use him for this playoff push.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:22 pm 
Power Forward

PuckSniperPensel wrote:

Thing is, what he's worth at this point isn't worth selling him when we could use him for this playoff push.

In all honesty do you really think Buffalo is going to make a push in the playoffs if they even make it in? I highly doubt it.
Below is what someone else wrote on another board and this is exactly the way I think tomorrow will go for Buffalo.

Here is how tomorrow is going to go. Darcy will wait and wait and wait. Then right before the deadline he will trade something crappy for something else crappy. The He will hold a press conference and say "well its hard to deal and the prices were to high and there just werent any really good players available but I think we have done well" Heres my response 24hours ahead of schedule "go :censored: yourself"

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:03 pm 
Star Sniper

Trading Connolly is a catch 22.

Argument 1: He won't be back next year (please, God!!), so at least get something for him.

Argument 2: We have no depth to fill his spot.

-Management has to decide whether they want to sneak into the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed, and likely get bounced in the 1st round (therefore keeping Timmy), or go into a mini-rebuild and get a high draft pick (We'd be picking 9th, as of today).

Personally, I'd like us to deal Connolly, Neids, Greir, and Monty (if he won't re-sign), fill their spots with Portland kids (Biega, Adam, Byron) and hope for the best.

Worst case scenario, we get a shot at Nugent-Hopkins/Landeskog/Couturier/Strome/Saad......

By the way, I REALLY like Strome

Last edited by Seanothan27 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:05 pm 
Page Side

SabresBillsFan wrote:
PuckSniperPensel wrote:

In all honesty do you really think Buffalo is going to make a push in the playoffs if they even make it in? I highly doubt it.
Below is what someone else wrote on another board and this is exactly the way I think tomorrow will go for Buffalo.

Here is how tomorrow is going to go. Darcy will wait and wait and wait. Then right before the deadline he will trade something crappy for something else crappy. The He will hold a press conference and say "well its hard to deal and the prices were to high and there just werent any really good players available but I think we have done well" Heres my response 24hours ahead of schedule "go :censored: yourself"

I'd always rather see us try.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next