It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PatGreen
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:28 pm 
PP Quarterback

your two clauses are mutually exclusive. these people shouldn't be held responsible because other people look up to them.

you can't hold people responsible for something they didn't sign up for. it's not a federal offense or a violent crime. (not directed at you specifically) if your kid says "dad i want to be just like kobe" then it is your job as a parent to tell him that he's a great athlete but you don't want to be like him as a person. if your job is done right, when the kid is old enough, he'll be able to see that people can be douches but excellent athletes.

i'm not saying that ben roethlisraper is okay, he's still a dirtbag (and a very overrated quarterback). i'm just saying that he isn't responsible for the people that look up to him.

guns don't kill people, people who make stupid decisions with guns do.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:44 pm 
Cup Winner

Spot on Pat Green. I see it the same way really.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:08 pm 
Mrs. Miller

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Just because he's an athlete he can't go to a bar and get into a fight?

Well...umm, no one SHOULD be getting in bar fights. It doesn't really have to do with being an athlete or not.

But anyways...people do stupid shit. Not really a big deal in my opinion. Although he'll have to cut that shit out if he ever makes it to the NHL if he wants to go anywhere.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:28 pm 
Star Sniper

That's cool, I'm beginning to like this kid a lot! Stupid hoser probably deserved a busted lip for talking back, Don't talk back to Kassian or he'll bust yo lip sucka!

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:58 pm 
Captain Dynasty

mechaphil wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
mechaphil wrote:
That's kind of a bunk argument GoSabres29, if you ask me. That's like saying hockey players are allowed to have romantic lives and sexual assault happens all the time all over the world, but it just happened to Kassian this time.

Yeah, but we don't know how the bar fight started. If he sexually assaulted someone, pretty clear how that started.

Yes but the point I'm trying to make is that you can't just say "oh well, bar fights happen and it was just a whoopsie that he was involved".

The only way I can say I'd be OK with this is if he was defending some girl from her drunken, douchebag boyfriend. Otherwise, he needs to calm down. Problem is, as an athlete, he's treated like an adult when he's still a kid.

Well right, but I don't really want to condemn him for anything before I know the story either. I think any number of things that could have happened that would have made his involvement justifiable. Unfortunately, as tends to be the case with athletes, that is not often the norm.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:01 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

PatGreen wrote:
your two clauses are mutually exclusive. these people shouldn't be held responsible because other people look up to them.

you can't hold people responsible for something they didn't sign up for. it's not a federal offense or a violent crime. (not directed at you specifically) if your kid says "dad i want to be just like kobe" then it is your job as a parent to tell him that he's a great athlete but you don't want to be like him as a person. if your job is done right, when the kid is old enough, he'll be able to see that people can be douches but excellent athletes.

i'm not saying that ben roethlisraper is okay, he's still a dirtbag (and a very overrated quarterback). i'm just saying that he isn't responsible for the people that look up to him.

guns don't kill people, people who make stupid decisions with guns do.

You know full well I 100% agree with that statement about guns and all of its permutations, but in this circumstance, you can't take anything for granted (like parents doing the right thing). That's why there are rules of decorum for everyone...with a greater emphasis put on public figures.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:29 pm 
PP Quarterback

mechaphil wrote:
You know full well I 100% agree with that statement about guns and all of its permutations, but in this circumstance, you can't take anything for granted (like parents doing the right thing). That's why there are rules of decorum for everyone...with a greater emphasis put on public figures.

there is nothing being taken for granted. you know that i know a lot of parents suck and don't guide their kids like our parents generation used to. but the overall failure of parenting can't be pushed on athletes or movie stars.

they should act appropriately, just like EVERYONE should, but i don't think that they have any obligation to act any better than anyone else.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:40 pm 
Star Sniper

I don't give much slack for Kassian being 19 (?) or whatever. Here's the more prevalent issue though... When I was in high school I knew to conduct myself as a respected representative of my football program - as a respectable student athlete with respected coaches. I didn't get into stupid shit like that because I knew I would be letting my coaches, team, and school down. Kassian is older and has more at stake, so he should know better. Not because of the right and wrong of getting in a bar fight, but because of who/what he represents. This will certainly be an issue that the Sabres front office will have to address. They'll have to be concerned about whether Kassian will/can be mature enough to handle himself as a professional...if his talent pans out into a pro contract.

It's not the biggest deal, but it sure isn't a positive.

Rud
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:52 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I want to hear some details on this before I pass judgment

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:12 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I think we all are. My altruistic side still wants to believe he was defending a girl's honor.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:20 pm 
Captain Dynasty

fights happen.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:30 pm 
Garbage Man

I would love to see our top 2 RW's being Beach and Kassian in 3 years.

Eh

fly as hale
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:32 pm 
Mrs. Miller

I could kick all of your asses in a bar fight!

Hockey Night in Buffalo

sabresEH
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:53 pm 
Garbage Man

Did anyone see on TSN that Red Wing's prospect Brendan Smith was charged with disorderly conduct for beating up some guy at a house party.

Eh

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:20 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

Chris Simon...is that you?!

Squanto 7/27/2010

hockeyplaya00
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:49 pm 
Penalty Killer

Hey think of it this way, if it were Roy or Pominville winning a bar fight Id be damn proud lol

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:50 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Well, some commenters on the Kassian story at the Windsor Star's site are saying that they witnessed the incident and he did the right thing.

We still don't know the real story, but hell, at least that gives some credence to my thought that he was defending someone most likely.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:17 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Zack Kassian once punched a bear.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:22 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Zack Kassian once punched a bear.

Oh, it's time to get ridiculous.

Zack Kassian's mutton chops once beat up Epic Beard Man so badly, he needed to call da ambalamps for himself.

Rud
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:37 pm 
Superstar Goalie

The Weapon X program originally planned on using Zack Kassian's mutton chops instead of adamantium. Unfortunately for them the only way to remove Zack Kassian's mutton chops is with a razor made of Zack Kassian's mutton chops.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next