It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Sabresfansince1980
 Post subject: Congrats Yankee fans
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:48 pm 
Star Sniper

And a big thanks to Posada, Pettitte, Rivera, and Jeter for all the years of dedication.

CriminallyVu1gar
 Post subject: Re: Congrats Yankee fans
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:52 pm 
Captain Dynasty

It continues to compelling. Will yankee fans retake their throne as most annoying fanbase? Or will "sox nation" continue to dominate? How will dark horse whiney "the yankees buy championships" philly fan fare?

Stay tuned folks!

Los9090
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:59 am 
Superstar Goalie

As a Mets fan, I found this series very troubling...but due to the present rivalry with the Phillies, I'm satisfied to see them lose.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:54 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i say this with confidence:

they wouldnt have beaten the tigers in the ALDS.

MakinItLookMean
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:58 pm 
Power Forward

ahhhh...thank you....it does feel good that all in baseball is back to normal

Tyler Myers - Future captain of the Buffalo Sabres, and future Norris Trophy Winner

Manning the machine gun on the Tyler Myers Bandwagon - just in case any teams have an idea of prying him away from us (3 GM's shot already)

Connolly/Roy - 2 goals in the last 47 playoff games

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:02 pm 
Captain Dynasty

oh, and jeter continues to be the most overrated player in the majors.

*lickin chops at the first sap who dares take me on*

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:19 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
i say this with confidence:

they wouldnt have beaten the tigers in the ALDS.

They don't have to worry about the Tigers in the ALDS anytime soon...

The Yankee's had excellent pitching, excellent defense, and capitalized on their chances. Say what you want about the payroll, or whatever. But you can't take away from the fact that, they were clutch when they needed to be, and did everything right. They may pay a lot for their talent, but if spending money = winning then the Yanks would win every year, because they generate the most revenue, so they pay the most. That's not the case, since they haven't won in nearly a decade.

And this is coming from a devote Dodgers fan, who does not like the Yanks, but I respect the way the played, and really thought they were managed well this year.

Sorry, but the Tigers play in a weak division, and still couldn't make it to the playoffs, so...how would they compete against the Yanks exactly?

Squanto 7/27/2010

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:58 pm 
Captain Dynasty

its rather simple: in a 5 game series, facing the best pitcher in the american league potentially twice, edwin jackson twice, and porcello once, its rather simple math. the yankees didnt have the pitching to match the tigers. and good pitching always trumphs good hitting. not to mention, the tigers also were steller in the field and had better defense, which, again, is the ultimate in importance. and if you need proof of this, look no further then the 2006 alds, when a similar yankee team faced a similar tiger team, and the tigers blew them out of the water. the central wasnt so much weak as the teams spent the season blowing each other up. the al central enjoyed much success against both other AL divisions, most notably, the al west.

and the yankees do have to worry about the tigers, as the tigers have a plethoria of young talent bursting at the seams. they wernt supposed to contend this year, but next year. they just arrived a year early.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:34 am 
Star Sniper

Jeter batted .334 18 HRs .406 obp, coming back from a couple "off" seasons to quiet some critics...at age 35. Surely you could find a better example of being over rated??? Unless you're just sick of hearing about Jeter this, Jeter that, but over rated he is not, unless your perception is that he's put on a pedestal at the top of an ivory tower. In that case it sounds like just some typical Yankee hate. If so, fine, hate them all you want, but at least be realistic. Compare his playoff and WS numbers to say, uhh...Jimmy Rollins...case closed, because he clearly took a dump in the clutch, while Jeter hit over .400 in the WS.

As for the Tigers, wow, what a desperate reach of logic. Somehow the team that couldn't win a weak division would be able to magically turn it on against a better team?? How can you cite pitching?? Sabathia, Burnett and Pettitte were going on 3 days rest, so how would a 5 game series help Detroit?

I mean, don't get me wrong, any team is capable of pulling off an upset in the playoffs, and your homerism is admirable, but come on. Detroit??? The simple premise that a non-playoff team would, "with confidence" beat the best team in the league in the playoffs IF they got there is silly. Why waste your time on that argument? Even if it's somehow true, they didn't deserve to be there anyway.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:55 am 
Captain Dynasty

the tigers were ousted in a 13 inning play-in game, in which, and i hate to use this as a crutch, but detroit was not credited with a run which would have been a tie with the twins scoring in the bottom of the inning. so, the argument that they didnt deserve to get in is invalid, because had they had seen inge hit by the pitch with the bases juiced, guess what? game goes on. and id hate to be accused of sour grapes on a board that crucifies brett hull for a phantom goal. (see how i worked that? lawyer ball right there)

the theory that detroit would have won the ALDS had they gotten in is not mine alone, but that of many baseball analysist. homerism aside, a short series, facing verlander twice and jackson twice? again, im pretty confident detroit could have taken the series in 4 games.

jeter? he had a good season, again, offensively. but, again, defensively, he is a liability, as he has been his whole career. feel free to toss his gold glove in the argument, because everyone knows that the position is based on offensively competent players, and not that of defensive prowess (see barry bonds gold glove for details. he wasnt good in the field from 1998 and on)

i wonder what jeter would be if he was in a seattle uniform, or a padres uniform. he would be just another very good player. but this has been the case since the beginning of baseball. yankee players have always been revered as gods among mortals, while better players are less appreciated.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:28 am 
Star Sniper

You really want to argue about the Minnesota game? Who cares? Either way that division would have offered the worst playoff team in the majors with only 87 wins. But Detroit only had 86 wins while playing 45% of their games against the worst group of teams in the AL. Deserve?? Hardly.

And I don't care what other "analyst" thinks they would've been tough. If their pitching was so great, why did they allow only eight fewer runs than NY, when NY didn't have a deep starting rotation? Even if they out pitched NY, their offense scored less than they allowed (10th in runs scored out of 14 AL teams). They wouldn't have had the bats to compete, especially considering NY's deep bullpen.

Jeter is hardly a liability. He's around middle of the pack in fielding % at SS, but this season only commited 8 errors...8.

It's really cool of you though to think so highly of your team, ya gotta have faith no matter how bleak things really are. I stuck by the Yankees my whole life, even when all I knew was 1980s mediocrity.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:48 am 
Captain Dynasty

its not about errors man. its all about range factor, where jeter is downright horrific. its about how he cant get to balls well on his left or right. sabermetrics dont lie. ive done alot of research on this subject, and studied it. new york originally wanted to put jeter at third, because arod has a better range factor, but jeter doesnt have a terrifically strong arm, especially not to play at third.

detroits man fault was their offense. with their staff and defense, with any sort of offense outside cabby, detroit runs away with the central. and you bring this up... you do realize detroit plays at comerica park, where the long ball goes to die, while the yankees play with several left handers (and righties) who have used the stadiums short porch with precision.

your also forgetting the world series champs in 06 had a grand total of 85 wins, i think.

motzie12ak
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:57 am 
Garbage Man

Derek Jeter is not overrated one bit, I could argue on that for hours if I had to. I've been a big Yankees fan for awhile and no guy is more important to that ball club than Derek Jeter. What he does offensively is incredible, and to say he's a defensive liability is BS. He may not be the best Shortstop in the league, but he is far from being the worst.

and one of my biggest pet peeves with other fanbases is how whenever the yankees win, other fans put it all on the money the yankees have. That's bull.
Yes, it is no secret that the Yankees have a lot of money, and they can afford to bring in some big names. But regardless of the names on a roster, the team has to have chemistry and they still have to come out and perform every night. If money could buy championships, then why have the Yankees not won since 2000? It's not much different in hockey either, we've seen some teams just bring in a bunch of big name players, but come up empty because there just wasn't the right chemistry.
Watching the Yankees this season, I've never seen a tighter ball club. They said it themselves that it felt like they were all brothers this year. They got the timely hits, and came from behind countless times to get wins. Every player in their lineup was more than capable of being the hero.
The Yankees have played their hearts out all year long, and they got a well deserved ending to their season.

Congrats to the Yankees for a well deserved championship!

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:28 am 
Star Sniper

Blah blah blah...no matter what you want to say, Jeter is not a defensive liability. That is just absurd. Nobody credits him for being a great SS, but he does fine, makes the plays he's supposed to with hardly any embarrasing moments. You're just nitpicking.

And if you want to argue about Comerica Park, then maybe their pitching isn't so great, because they just benefit from a big park. You obviously don't see the duplicity in your arguments. This is silly, Detroit was not in the same class as the Yankees this season, end of story.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:46 am 
Captain Dynasty

aha, but, once again, detroits successes were based off a ground ball, sinker ball staff. the only flyball pitcher, galaraga, was their weakness in their pitching staff, to the point he was delegated to the bullpen. it really doesnt matter, because im sure that when push came to shove, the tigers pitching would out play the yankees offense. but, ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

the jeter factor, a point ive been arguing since about 2004.

"Last year, Derek Jeter ranked in the bottom half of major-league shortstops in fielding percentage, put-outs, and assists. He ranked second-to-last in range factor. He was dead last—in all of baseball—in zone rating."

http://umpbump.com/press/2008/02/27/my- ... justified/

of course, this is a fan blog, but these statistics are not fabricated.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/w ... ics/1.html

"'We've made all kinds of terrific inroads in defensive analysis in the past few years ... and, when it comes down to it, Jeter turns fewer balls hit into his area into outs than other shortstops, and really, that's what matters."

there you go.

he also picks up bitches at the frat bar in kalamazoo.. jerk.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:10 am 
Captain Dynasty

Yeah, Jeter's defensive play is sorely lacking. Like the guy. He's one of the few players I think that brings everything to every play. And his glove his good. He does not make errors. But his range is horrible. It's like duct taping a glove to a washing machine.

I wouldn't say he's a defensive liability so much because offense is so important to today's game. But strictly speaking, there are balls he doesn't get to that every other shortstop does. That DOES make him a liability.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:13 am 
Captain Dynasty

Yankee fans need to stop romanticizing their players so damn much. There have been many GREAT yankee players. But they're not in the echelon that any Yankee fan thinks they are.

Babe Ruth was not the greatest baseball player that ever lived. Derek Jeter might not crack the top ten of great shortstops, etc.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:23 am 
Captain Dynasty

there is one yankee i would kill for on the tigers: matsui. i always loved him. id kill for him to take over the tigers left field.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:26 am 
Star Sniper

Just in case you're referring to me, I've never romanticized any ball player, let alone a Yankee. But with Babe Ruth, as much of a big and unathletic person he was, he hit a ridiculously large percentage of the home runs from that era. It's pretty easy to see (if irony wants to crunch some more numbers) how Ruth got his reputation. Bonds would have had to hit several hundred HRs in his best season (ie, more roids) in order to match the overall league % that Ruth hit in 1921 or 23 (can't remember and I'm not going to look it up now). But FWIW, Gehrig is my favorite all time player.

Matsui? After digging at Jeter for defense you say you want Matsui? Irony surely is not dead!!

MakinItLookMean
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:42 am 
Power Forward

you can say jeter is over rated all you want....the fact of the matter is though is tht jeter is a FIVE time world champion

Tyler Myers - Future captain of the Buffalo Sabres, and future Norris Trophy Winner

Manning the machine gun on the Tyler Myers Bandwagon - just in case any teams have an idea of prying him away from us (3 GM's shot already)

Connolly/Roy - 2 goals in the last 47 playoff games